06

June 23rd, 2:13 P.M.

Lorelei looked for Theo in the crowd. It was hopeless, with the entire town mushed together in the small-town centre. She caught a glimpse of his red flannel and started making her way towards him. 

Theo looked away as she approached him. "Hey," Lorelei started, "We need to talk." Theo nodded towards his cabin, only a block away, "We can go there."

"I'm really sorry, I truly didn't mean to." Lorelei pleaded, "I just thought..." "Thought what, huh? Anyone who looks at you funny, boom! Dead. I thought that what we had was real, but you seemed to jump at the chance to kill him. I just..." Theo sputtered, words seeming to get caught in his throat, "I just can't." 

Lorelei's heart was saddened at the sight of seeing him cry. "I've got an idea. First, we kill off all the Founding Fathers and their kin. Second, we set the town on fire. Then, we run." Lorelei stretched out her hand to him, "Run away with me, Theo."

Theo looked at her, disgusted, "Lorelei, talk some sense here! You're being unreasonable." "How? This only proves my love for you, and how far I'll go for you." Lorelei argued. 

Theo shook his head, "No, no. You need help, Lorelei. Help that I can't give you." "No! You don't get to say that when you helped them do this to me." Lorelei cried, thoughts running through her head. 

She slowly inched towards the office desk, eyeing the statue on top of the outrageously big stack of papers. "Me?" Theo shouted, "You're blaming me? Like it's my fault that you want to burn down the town; kill The Fathers? Kill my father?" 

Lorelei glared at him, hatred and sorrow filling her eyes. "Just leave! If you're not going to help me, go. I can't do this with you." Theo rushed towards her; an attempt to bring her tranquillity, "I'm not leaving, we're in this together! We can do this toget–" His words cut off, as Lorelei struck him with a paperweight.