Chapter 1

- 6 years later -

Z-City | 7:34 AM

(y/n POV)

I've been awake for barely an hour and today already sucks. Not because anything particularly bad had happened; rather, things just weren't going my way this morning.

One of the lights in my apartment had gone out, which, on its own, isn't at all a big deal. I was out of spare bulbs, so, like any other normal person, I'd decided to write myself a reminder to buy some when I went to the store. But unfortunately, my pen had exploded while I was writing, and I ended up splattering ink all over my favorite sweater.

Ok, kind of annoying, but not terrible. I was going to do the laundry today anyway, so I'll just wash it quickly before the ink sets in.

So I'd rushed to the nearby coin laundromat where, of course, there wasn't any detergent left in the dispenser. How does that even happen at a laundromat?

Yeah, not the best start to my morning, but it's not worth getting angry over it.

I'm on my way to the store to buy some detergent, and I'd just turned a corner when I suddenly bump straight into some guy carrying a bag of groceries in each hand. We both sort of stagger back a step, as a carton of eggs falls out from one of his bags and onto the pavement, landing with a sharp crack.

???: Aw, man. They were on sale, too!

y/n: Sorry, I kinda didn't see you.

I look up at the guy, who seems to be around my age, although his head is completely bald like a bowling ball. He's wearing shorts, colorful flip-flops, and an "OPPAI'' hoodie that looks straight off the shelves of Hot Topic, all which serve to confuse me further. He genuinely just looks like a randomly generated video game character.

The guy looks pretty upset with the broken eggs, so I decide it's best to help him out since I was the one who bumped into him in the first place.

y/n: I can go get some more from the supermarket... I was heading there anyway.

???: That would be great... although, could you bring them to my apartment? I've gotta hurry or the ice cream's gonna melt.

Is this guy serious? He wants me to hand-deliver eggs to his apartment?

???: Here, I'll write the address. It's not too far from here, so I hope you don't mind.

I sigh and reluctantly accept his request, not in the mood to argue with anyone after today's disastrous morning. I take the slip of paper with his address on it and head to the store, where I buy a carton of eggs, a couple boxes of lightbulbs, and a bottle of detergent.

I leave the store and find my way to Mr. Clean's apartment complex, which is actually just a couple blocks away from mine. It's a small world.

I'm about to enter the building when I feel the ground trembling behind me. Sensing danger, I kick my m-cells into gear and whip around to see a large, humanoid insect-like creature staring me down.

Kami Kabuto: Doing some shopping, are we? Well, you'll regret crossing paths with the mighty Kami Kabuto*! (*God Beetle in Japanese)

y/n: There sure have been a lot of monsters around recently, huh?

I gently place the shopping bag down on the ground and stretch my neck as I feel my body really starting to get going, eyes glimmering excitedly.

y/n: Eh. More training for me, I guess.

6 years ago, when I had first absorbed the m-cells, I had no control. I couldn't even use them at will, and I was prone to go into fits of rage at the slightest hint of anger. My fighting was unpolished and savage, and I knew I couldn't do anything in such a state, regardless of how much raw power I had.