Chapter 3

Z-city | 4:53 PM

(y/n POV)

It's been a little over a week since I became a professional hero. Since then, I've been spending my time hanging out with Genos and Saitama, as well as taking out the occasional monster whenever I happen to come across one. Nothing of note had really transpired, though, and so far, it doesn't really feel like too much has changed since I joined the association.

I'm washing the dishes, deep in thought, when my phone starts ringing. I promptly switch off the water and slot the last plate into the drying rack, wiping my hands clean with a towel before picking up the device to answer.

y/n: Hello?

Employee: Good day, Mr. y/n. Are you available at the moment?

y/n: Uh, yeah. What's up?

Employee: Excellent. Please report to the Z-city Hero Association building. This is urgent business.

y/n: Got it.

I quickly grab my keys and exit my apartment, still on the line with the employee as I hurry towards the Hero Association building.

y/n: Care to fill me in on the situation?

Employee: Of course. A meteor, level 9 on the Torino scale, has suddenly shifted from its original flyby course and is now expected to collide with Earth. Z-city is in the projected strike zone, and such a large object hitting the ground could cause catastrophic damage to the city and surrounding areas.

I've already arrived at the destination by the time she finishes her explanation.

y/n: So, what do you want me to do about it?

Employee: Please cooperate with the other available heroes to devise a plan and minimize the damage. Good luck.

She hangs up, and I slide my phone into my pocket as I walk into the large building in front of me. Once inside, I'm expecting to see a group of S-class heroes, but I'm instead met with nothing but a dark, empty atrium.

Is this the right building?

???: Ah, you must be Genos.

y/n: Sorry?

???: No, wait, Genos is the robot. Sorry, I keep getting the names all muddled up.

The source of the voice is an old man with spiky white hair and a mustache, and it takes me a minute to recognize his face as I watch him step out of the shadows.

???: You're y/n, right?

y/n: Right.

???: My name is Silverfang, but you can call me Bang. S-class, Rank 3.

y/n: Yeah, I remember you from the website. Good to meet you.

I shake Bang's hand respectfully as Genos walks through the doors, clearly just as confused as me at the lack of other heroes. He's clutching some sort of briefcase in his hand, which intrigues me, but I decide that there's more important things to worry about at the moment.

Silverfang: So you must be Genos, then.

Genos notices Bang and stares at him silently for a few seconds.

y/n: So, you got the call too, Genos?

Genos: Yes... Where are the other S-class heroes?

Silverfang: We're the only ones who showed up.

Genos: And why is that?

Silverfang: They're too far away; or perhaps they're just busy. Some of the more heartless ones simply don't bother. After all, we're only ever called up when there's some impossible problem to take care of.