Chapter 2

Z-City Testing Location 6 | 9:14 AM

(y/n POV)

y/n: Sheesh... how are there this many people here already? It's barely been 10 minutes since the place opened.

I look out at the vast crowd of aspiring heroes, surprised by the sheer number of them. A lot of the applicants are talking amongst themselves in cliques, while the rest are silently waiting their turn to take on the physical exam.

Genos: Being a professional hero is an esteemed position, so it's only natural that people would want to become one.

I exhale determinately before turning around to face Saitama, who hasn't really said much since we got here.

y/n: By the way, what the hell are you wearing?

I gesture towards Saitama, who's wearing some sort of Speedo-looking piece of clothing; the kind you'd see bodybuilders wearing at competitions.

Saitama: Dunno. They just told me to put it on.

y/n: They didn't tell me that.

I had just taken off my shirt and hoped that they wouldn't penalize me for wearing sweatpants, while Genos had opted to go completely naked. Naked as far as machines are concerned, mind you.

Genos: It should be fine. I've seen other applicants wearing entire costumes.

Saitama: Alright, let's do this, I guess.

The three of us are assigned to separate testing grounds, so we decide to meet up later in order to discuss our performances. And with that, we quickly wish each other good luck and head off to begin the exam.

Once it's my turn, I step up to the deadlifting platform as the testing official gives me a quick rundown.

Testing Official 1: Alright, kid. We're gonna start you off with a 100-kilo deadlift and work our way up from there. You got that?

I frown a little at his mention of the weight, expecting much more from a superhero exam.

y/n: You got anything heavier?

Testing Official 1: Oh yeah, we go way heavy. How much were you thinking?

y/n: Alright. We can start at 10.

I stretch my arms to get the blood flowing as the guy processes the answer, confused at my odd request.

Testing Official 1: 10 kilos? Isn't that a little light?

y/n: Nah, tons.

I fly through the test.

Punching machine? Destroyed. Sprints? Literal cakewalk. Whack-a-mole? Too easy.

Many of the applicants in my testing group had already gone home, disheartened after seeing me absolutely shred the exam's current records. I feel a little bad for crushing their dreams, but as Saitama had pointed out before we came, holding back on an application for a job you want is just plain stupid.

The paper exam also proves to be ridiculously easy; itself being a collection of simple written response questions which any moron could lie on.

I was now back in the locker room, feeling a little doubtful at the fact that this was the application to join an elite organization responsible for protecting humanity. The low standards were a little alarming– just a smidge. Still, deciding it's not worth thinking about, I finish putting on the rest of my clothes as I hear a voice from behind me.