~FIVE~

~Scotty Smalls~

The boys and I groan as we see the Tigers baseball team riding in with their bikes. A group of 14 year old boys in red and white varsity jackets and with a letter 'T' to represent the Tigers, with red matching hats,and to top it all off with their snobby rich kid cleats.

"What are you guys doing here!?" Kenny yells, "Hey I didn't come here for a fight," the captain, also known as Jordan Phillips speaks. "Then what do you dimwits want?!" Ham exclaimed, "Stay away from my sister, that's all I want." Phillips says.

"Why should we?!" Squints questions, "Because I don't want her to be socializing with you filthy rejects!" Phillips insults, "Hey shut your mouth Phillips!" Benny says annoyed, "Still can't get over our win last year I see!" Ham teases, I can hear Squints giggling about this with Bertram.

"Hey! We went easy on you!" Phillips defends, his team agrees, "Whatever! We still won!" Bertram says, "It doesn't matter! Just stay away from my sister! She doesn't like you guys anyways!" Phillips yells.

At that moment we all looked at each other in shock. Is that why she's been avoiding us?

"Shut up! She does like us! You're just jealous she would much rather be hanging out with us than with you and your team!" I yell, "That's not what she told me...She said you guys are dumb rejects who follow her around like lost little puppies." Phillips says confidently.

"Yeah fine! We'll leave her alone!" Ham says "It's not like we liked her, she's a Phillips, she's pure evil and she's a dumb rich snob who thinks she's entitled to the world!" Ham finishes off, Phillips just raises his eyebrows and signals for his team to follow him.

"I'll be sure to send the message!" Phillips yells while biking away. The boys and I looked at Ham, I swore I saw Timmy's eye twitching, "What the hell man!" Kenny yells, Benny hits the back of Hams head "Great move!" Benny says sarcastically.

"Yeah now he'll tell Julia about what you said and she'll hate us even more!" Timmy scolds, "Yeah now he'll tell Julia about what you said and she'll hate us even more!" Tommy repeats, "Shut up!" Timmy yells at his brother.

Benny rolls his eyes, "Whatever man, it's getting late, let's go home", we nod in agreement as we begin to walk home.

Benny and I are the last ones left walking home, "See ya 8:00 AM tomorrow?" Benny asks, "Yeah, see ya Bennyman" I say, "Bye Smalls" he says as he walks onto the front porch steps of his house.

Man, what a crazy day. We haven't had an encounter with Phillips for a while.

Thinking about all that has happened today made me think about something. Maybe all that Ham said was true, maybe she is pure evil and a dumb rich snob who thinks they're entitled to the world. I was really starting to like her.

I always thought she was really sweet and caring, I thought she was nothing like her brother but I could be wrong. I keep thinking about what Phillips said about Julia and what she said about me and my friends. She probably did say that the guys and I were dumb rejects who follow her around like lost little puppies.

As I ate supper even my mom knew something was off about me. Why does everyone keep saying this, there's nothing off about me, I'm perfectly fine! As I got ready for bed I thought about Phillips, how he told us to stay away from his sister.

Phillips had only seen me and Julia talking the other day, I think he targeted that message towards me especially. I was about to close my curtains to go to sleep but I looked at the house across from mine, and one lit up bedroom with the window blinds open.

I see Julia's figure come into frame, I see her kneeling down to put a vinyl on her record player. She had spotted me again, this time instead of her turning her back onto me, I turned my back on her.

I'm really mad about what her brother had told us that she said, if you don't like me just dont tell anyone else. I close my curtains and a few seconds later the phone rings downstairs. "Scotty! Someone is on the phone for you!" My mom yells, "Okay one sec!" I yell as I'm running down the stairs.

My mom hands me the phone, "Don't take too long i'm expecting a business call" my mother warns me, I nod my head in acknowledgement.

"Hello?" I say into the receiver of the phone, "Hi Scot," a warm voice speaks. I know it's her voice, "What do you want?" I say a bit annoyed, "Sorry I couldn't stop by the sandlot for a while" she says, "Whatever it's not like you wanted to come by anyway" I say blankly, "what are you talking about?" she says confused, "Oh don't play dumb, it's not like you would want to hang out with some dumb rejects who follow you around like lost little puppies."

I hear her sigh, "Wanna come out to actually talk?" she suggests, "Fine." I hang up before walking outside. I see her shadow under the street light, she approaches me and sits down on my front porch steps, "You wanted to talk?" I ask, "Yeah, so what are you talking about, you know me not wanting to hang out with you guys." she says.

"Your brother told us everything." I say blankly, "What? What did he say?" she asks, "He told us to stay away from you, he told us what you said." I told the girl, she gave me a confused look, "What did he say?" she asked, confused. "That you called us dumb rejects and that we follow you around like lost puppies."

"Scotty it's not true, I didn't say that, Jordan is lying!" She defends herself, "Okay fine I believe you, then why did you avoid us?" I ask "He's making me stop talking to you guys again, and those things he said about you guys being 'Rejects', he said those things not me." she explains.

After a while we ended up going back into our houses and she explained everything. She told me how she probably couldn't hang out with us again for a little while, which I guess I understand because her jerk brother has her twisted around his finger. After that talk we had, I felt weird. This time I did feel odd and I knew that people would notice it.

~AUTHORS NOTE~

Hi guys! A bit of a long chapter, I think I might make the chapters a bit shorter and add a bit of time skips, but thanks for reading and please vote!

-Maya 01/03/2024~