Ch. 10 Once Bitten, Twice Shy °❆˚₊⋆

(New Year's/Christmas chapter inspired by lyrics from "Last Christmas" by Wham!)

nsfw 18+ (near end)

*̣̥☆·͙̥‧‧̩̥·‧•̥̩̥͙‧·‧̩̥‧̩̥·‧•̥̩̥͙‧·‧̩̥‧·͙̥̣☆*̣̥

Christmas creeped up on you this year. Between the weeks at your internship and avoiding Miguel, things have been all over the place, just when you thought things were starting to line up.

So you were alone on Christmas and you're alone on New Years Eve, both for the first time. You've got your headphones on, blasting, nostalgic Christmas music.

Standing in the kitchen, you roll out cookie dough, finding yourself thinking about Miguel. Everything. From his annotations on your essays, to the blood on his bathroom floor.

Once bitten, twice shy.

Why can't he confide in you? But blood isn't a simple secret, it's bigger than you, you know that.

Yesterday, you saw him coming up the stairs, one foot in the hallway, your own in your doorway. You look back, catch a glimpse of him down the hall; his hair is wet and messy from the snow, his cheeks pink from the cold.

You hurry into your place before he sees you. He's only left with the slam of your door.

I keep my distance, but you still catch my eye.

"I thought you liked me, now you won't even talk to me."

Last week, he cornered you in the hallway. Your keys were deep in your bag.

"I'm busy, Mig. Been so busy." Your cheeks feel hot, consequence of your lying.

Your back is now against your door. He's so close to you, looking down at you, head tilted. He looks beautiful... and threatening. But you're stubborn and you don't trust anyone anymore, especially not your blood-thirsty neighbor.

"I mean I thought we were getting somewhere, Y/N."

You did too.

"I did too. I just- I gotta go, Miguel. I'll... talk to you later."

****

You sit on your fire escape, legs hanging down, headphones on your neck, still playing music. You watch the snow fall down, snowflakes swaying before gracefully adorning your coat. You lift your arm to look at the tiny, beautifully delicate shapes melting on you.

You listen to the cars, the rumbling sky, the party music above you, the muffled voices. You're okay being alone–

"Hey,"

"Jesus! What the fuck! Who— God, you scared me, asshole!" you throw a handful of snow that's collected on your thighs at him. It pathetically hits his knees.

It's him, standing on his side of the fire escape in front of his window. He looks down at you, sympathetically.

"What do you want? Why are you looking at me like that?"

He straightens his face out. He looks straight forward, eyebrows furrowed, hands in his pockets. He looks stiff, cold like he was the first day.

"Figured you'd be home for Christmas."

"I am home." You turn away, looking down at the alley below.

"Home, home."

"My mom was out of town. No point making the trip."