Chapter 41

Mikhail stood in front, with their suitcase.

He hailed a taxi and began speaking to the driver in fluent Russian.

They were in his homeland.

This is where too many things had unfolded for them not return here.

Fatigue streaming through her veins, she closed her eyes wishing she did not have to face the past.

She felt an arm slither around her shoulders, and begin to guide her. She looked to see Mikhail carrying a stern expression. Another side to him she had never seen.

They were soon stood in a rundown motel, where they had stood in front of for a while. She could see his panicked expression and could only imagine his nervous thoughts zooming through his mind. She squeezed his hand, "You've got me this time." She smiled up at him.

"No, i-its just that..." he gulped, "m-my pa-rent's once owned this place. It was their dream."

She didn't know what to say and hugged him, to which he gladly responded.

"I know I've got you, and I thank Allah for that every second."

She could only smile.

If she spoke it may uncover the dread she tried to hold down.

*

He lead her into their room, unlike its rundown outward appearance the inside of the motel was fairly nice.

In complete silence, they moved around the room checking for bugs, any hearing devices and inspecting that looked even remotely suspicious.

Once satisfied, they began unpacking. This small room was going to be their home indefinitely.

Away from their norm, away from their family, away from the euphoric life they had built.

Finally, they were done and as their energy had completely drained.

Alayna had flopped onto the bed, with every intention to sleep. Yet Mikhail, sat on the chair putting on his trainers and then grabbing his jacket.

"I won't be long." He quickly placed a kiss on her forehead.

"You know what to do, don't you?" He turned back to her, with his infamous half smile.

She nodded reciprocating his smile.

"I'll be fine don't worry." She tried to reassure him, while the hornets of fear roamed her stomach.

He left, and Alayna prayed with every breath she took that he return to her safe.

She could almost laugh at herself, remembering the time in the past in which she had to do this, and here she was years later doing the same thing. They thought they had escaped the cycle, when in fact, they had never been more stuck in it.

She didn't want her son to be stuck as well.

It was unfair.

Why should the children always be punished for their parent's actions?

She didn't want her son to live the lives both she and his father have lived.

Full of pain, trauma and blood.

She snapped out of her thoughts when she could hear an undeniably loud clawing sound against the main door.

This was it.

Soon enough, a loud banging noise echoed through the tiny room.

She lamely attempted to gulp down her fear as she neared the door.