Chapter One:

A

A

s the first semester of my freshman year at college pressed on, I found myself in an unexpected predicament-I was homeless.

So, what was I to do?

Nothing, really.

All I had left was the three luggage carry-ons and my bookbag as I was thrown out of my dorm by my best friend.

Right now, I was on the bench outside of my dorms, trying to figure out where I could go for the night. But I couldn't think of anywhere that didn't involve telling my parents what happened.

It wasn't that I couldn't tell them; I just didn't want to worry them since campus was three hours away from where they lived. So that wasn't really an option because of the long commute and the six am class I had tomorrow morning.

It was only just after eight at night as I sat on this bench, contemplating my next move.

I was on the brink of tears-that's how bad it was.

It wasn't like I had any other friends I could ask. After graduation, we all kind of drifted apart.

So, what could I do?

I could spend the night in my car, but that wasn't even close to ideal as it was nearly broken down, and I hadn't had the chance to replace the heating system in it. And right now, it was the middle of winter.

Definitely not ideal.

What was ideal? A warm bed and a blanket, preferably in an apartment or better yet, a house.

"Sage?" Someone called out my name, making me look up.

It was Phoenix, the boy I worked with at the pizza place. He was in the same year as me.

There he was, in his usual jeans-and-tee combo, just like I'd expect. He's never been one for fancy dressing, but that's what I love about him. He's only a bit taller than me, but it's not about height with him-it's the way he carries himself.

His clothes say a lot about him-simple, no-nonsense, but uniquely his. You can see the little details, like the frayed edges of that favorite tee or the comfort of those well-worn jeans. But what really gets me is who he is beyond the clothes.

He's got this easy vibe that's so him. It's in the way he smiles, the spark in his eyes-it tells you he's all about being real. He values the small things and treats life with a kind of simplicity that's refreshing. And being around him, you can't help but feel at ease. He's laid-back, but there's a warmth about him that's genuine.

"Phoenix?" I said, temporarily forgetting my current situation.

I smiled at him as he came closer to me and wrapped his arms around me in a hug.