Chapter Five

Ophelia didn't come home that night, or the night after. After three nights of no contact, coupled with other members of the Deadly Witches disappearing, I knew the time had come. News reports highlighted the Deadly Witches' failures, and others attempting the rescue at Dreadshade Summit failed to return. If it were anyone else, or if Ophelia hadn't gone, I would've cut my losses and let someone else attempt the rescue. But Ophelia was the closest person to family I had outside of Celeste, and I couldn't stand the thought of losing her.

I prepared myself for battle, donning Celeste's robe, packing potions and herbs in a pouch, and casting a warding spell on my jumpsuit. If I were going to fight, I needed protection. I never felt fully prepared, but I knew I never would. Not only was I going to fulfill my prophecy, but I had strictly promised Celeste that I wouldn't. The thought of something happening to Ophelia made me nauseous, and at the same time, I felt uneasy for not following a promise I had upheld for ten years to my only real mother figure. If anything, I needed to go kick some ass to blow off steam. And see a therapist. But ass-kicking came first.

I traveled to Dreadshade Summit with a simple teleportation spell. In front of me stood a closed door, beside it was a cauldron filled with a steaming opaque liquid. A plaque below the cauldron read: "Whispering leaves fill my belly. When the amounts align the door shall shine."

I reached into my pouch for silentium verdant, an herb I often used to muffle my sounds from foes I planned to sneak attack. I guessed that silencing might work based on the use of "whispering." Given how many people had entered the chambers, my guess was probably one of many herbs that would work given the clue. Hell, for all I knew, it might've opened for any herb someone poured into the cauldron.

Immediately after dropping the silentium verdant, the room filled with fog. A bellowing voice echoed in the chambers: "Enter the door to find what you seek. Though some witches are mighty, some too are weak. Release the witch and set her free. To become the most powerful, this is all you need."

Well, shit. Here's my destiny.