Chapter Twenty-Eight

James and I teleported at nearly the exact same time. He gave me a nod as I took a breath. Then he sat down on the chair closest to me next to the table in the center of the room.

"That was a pretty nice trick," I complimented James. It was more than a trick. The man was a master of potions. Not only was he knowledgeable, but he held rare items that he didn't mind using, even when the original potion would've done the same job, just maybe not as effectively. It made more sense that he chose to use potions over magic in the heat of the moment when he was so proficient.

"The firebane and venomstrike combo?" He smiled at the compliment, even though it wasn't the time I was referring to.

"Is that what it was?"

"I like to call it the inferno serpent."

"Maybe you shouldn't be naming things, but the concoction and its proportions were impressive. Most would injure themselves in the process of making, packaging, and using those potions alone. Where did you learn skills like that?"

"My mother liked potions."

"Yeah, so did Celeste, but you don't see me out here with the same level of skill you have."

He let out one quick laugh at my answer before standing up, turning his back toward the table, and leaning against it. His arms looked poised to complete a triceps dip and I wasn't against the view. It felt silly to have a feeling like that—a completely normal feeling—when the world was turning to shit. I put my head in my hands and rested my elbows on the table with a groan. We didn't say anything to each other, but it felt like we both knew I needed to tell him more information than he already had.

"So," almost as if he could read my mind, James started the conversation. "Are you going to tell me more about yourself?"

"Only if you take me out to a nice dinner first," I deflected with a wink.

"Rhea." He laughed even though he tried to keep a straight face.

"How do I know I can trust you?" I questioned him. It was my greatest fear since seeing Cybill at La Voisin. As the leader of Silverleaf, most likely picked by Celeste before she retired, I had an inherent feeling that I could trust him. I trusted Celeste and through Celeste's decision making I could trust James. At the same time, I didn't know who I could trust right now and even someone handpicked by Celeste could stab me in the back if it meant the rest of Silverleaf would remain safe.

"Are you worried about Cybill? You already know I don't believe her." He grabbed an open chair and slid it back to where he had previously leaned on the table. I sat in the silence trying to think of a tactful answer.

"You, James. How do I know I can trust you. I don't remember you from my time in Silverleaf. So, unless you had some massive glow up and changed your name, you weren't here."

"I wasn't." He was quick as he answered, and I appreciated his honesty. My mouth was open ready to ask the next question, but he kept talking, "I didn't come back to Silverleaf until I was in my young twenties. You had just left."

"Were you born here?"

"I'd have to be if I'm the leader, right?" I raised an eyebrow at his answer, and he smiled back at me. "I was born here, and my parents had a nasty divorce. I guess you could say my dad 'won' me in the divorce. I was taken from Silverleaf at a young age. He didn't limit communication with my mom, and we kept in touch. I came back when I felt like I was ready to actually have a relationship with her after breaking her heart so many years before it without even knowing."

"I'm sorry to hear that." I felt bad for intruding on his personal life. Even though it was an easy way to build trust, it felt like he was sharing something he wasn't ready to share, or wouldn't typically have shared with someone he only just met.

"No need to apologize." He waved me off. "I bring it up because I honestly believe it will help you trust me more."

"You really want to bond over shitty childhoods?" I smirked. A little self-deprecating humor to lighten the mood.

"No, my mom is Celeste."