Chapter Twenty

There were two ways I could play the situation out. First, I could say that I had magic and pray that James would sweep in and support me. That was assuming James cared enough to help me, but he did earlier so I had to assume he'd help me now. Still, he didn't know I didn't possess magic, just that I needed help. It was a reach, but the benefit of that play helped keep my identity as Rhea a secret, especially if Cybill was as sketchy as she was acting. Right now, if the crazy witch thinks I'm alive, she at least knows she stole my powers because she has them. And if this is some ploy to test if I'm Rhea, I need magic. On the other hand, I could make the claim that I was some magicless old dude who was only passing by when the borders were shut down. I could more easily play that role, but my robe indicated differently. It spoke to magic, or at least someone who studied magic.

Cybill stared at me, and I felt myself panicking under the pressure and wishing I'd never left that stupid, lonely Vault. One wrong decision and I'm dead. Whether or not Cybill is the one to betray me, anyone in this room finding out I'm Rhea, and that I'm not dead, puts me at risk. I decided that confessing to magic would give me the greater chance of success.

"I'm just an old man who never mastered the craft." I shook my head and finally pulled myself away from the man who had been grabbing my arm. Then I turned to him and placed my own hand on his arm with a playful pat. "I don't want to hurt you on accident."

"Cast a spell," Cybill commanded again. My eyes flicked to James who pulled away from the man he was whispering to, finally catching on to the situation.

"I truly don't want to hurt anyway," I repeated. "You know what they say about old dogs and new tricks."

"Why won't you cast a spell?" A Lizari in the room questioned. Of course they'd be the one to question me, they were smart, this one saw my response as a threat.

"Yeah," the crowd began to agree in mob mentality. "She's been right about everything so far. Cast a spell!"

With no other clues to what happened before I got here, I realized that the room believed in Cybill and everything she said. I had no other choice but to perform magic, and contrary to the thought that I had a choice earlier, it never was a choice to begin with. Based on the previous conversations I had with James, I had to place my trust in him.

I had proclaimed to be meager in magic and never fully learning the craft, so I'd need to play into that with an incantation announced aloud. That would also help James know what magic to use to support me and buy me some time if he doesn't catch on right away. Incantations for new magic wielders were always rocky. Then I'd need to stick with basic spell that all beginners learn, like simple healing or something from an elemental magic 101 class. Given that they wanted to see something happen, a healing spell wouldn't cover my ass. But a simple and easy elemental orb would be enough to grab their attention.

"Dancing flame, ignite your embers, conjure now a spirit that remembers."