Chapter Ten

I teleported home, pissed at myself for breaking Celeste's promise, and feeling every broken bone in my body ache as the adrenaline faded away. Attempting healing magic yielded disappointment; nothing happened. I pressed both hands firmly against my right thigh, applying pressure to one of the larger cuts left by the centipede, as I searched my room for healing potions. I found only one ready for use, but it merely stopped the bleeding. I needed a more potent brew. 

Sorting through my herbs, I found the most crucial ones and concocted a mixture of starlight blossom, elderglow petals, and a hint of aetherroot. Just when I thought I'd assembled the perfect components, I added a phoenix ember herb, most known for revival properties, hoping it would enhance the potion's healing effects. After taking the potion, I lay down, allowing the healing process to begin. Then, I started calling everyone in the Deadly Witches, starting with Ophelia. No one answered my calls. 

I was on the verge of falling asleep, drained from battle, when my phone vibrated and rang with an emergency alert. The notification jolted me awake, and as I unlocked my phone, I read that everyone in the surrounding area was ordered to take cover. The alert mentioned an unknown witch presenting herself at City Hall, wielding immensely powerful magic.

I opened the news clip attached to the notification and saw a familiar face: the young woman who had stolen my powers was taking center stage.

"I'm the most powerful witch in Veridara," she declared, arms open. "I demand you bow before me." 

Someone attempted to get closer, but she stuck out an arm, freezing them in place. Their body writhed, as if she had placed him under some kind of curse, before he fell to the ground, dead. When did this happen? Was the video a live stream? She didn't have that kind of power when we battled, or was I just lucky that she hadn't used it on me? I tried searching for a timestamp as the video continued to play.  

"It seems you don't believe me." She smiled, putting on a show for the news cameras. "Has anyone checked on Solaris? Whispering Shadows? Even those slutty Deadly Witches? All their powers belong to me." 

Well, shit.

The most powerful witch I've ever seen believed I was dead, and I wanted to keep it that way, at least until I had a chance to connect with Celeste. I dropped my phone, suddenly aware of anything that could track me, and wanting to go off the grid. Grabbing as many herbs as I had space for, changing into fresh clothes, and grabbing my cloak, I remembered my teleportation stone was still reloading with magical energy. We always kept a spare in the bottom of the dead orchid's vase near the kitchen window that we'd hoped would one day come back to life. Having two with me would be better than just one anyway. I stuck my hand in the pot and dusted off the remaining dirt from the travel stone.

I needed to speak with Celeste. I needed to determine whose prophecy she gave to me on my eighteenth birthday and, if it was mine, how could I regain my powers? Because, if that bitch really did kill my coven, I needed my magic back to give her hell. Armed with nothing but hope, a vague prophecy, and whatever I packed in my pouch, I clutched tightly to my spare travel stone and headed back home to Silverleaf.