THIRTY NINE - FOURTH OF JULY

Despite only landing into JFK on July 2nd, George and Leonie Goldwyn refused to turn down the opportunity to throw one of their classic 4th of July parties that had been an annual tradition at their home in the Hamptons before moving to Europe.

They were planning on staying in New York for two whole months which was incredibly exciting for Estélla, the news of her family being just a few hours away instead of on the other side of the world making her feel that little bit less alone than she had been recently.

Christian hadn't let up with his persistence in winning her back, calling and texting when he both did and didn't get responses from Esté. A huge part of her wanted to forget the whole thing happened and run away back to England to be with him, but so far, her feet had stayed firmly planted on US soil.

It was 5 o'clock on Friday evening when Esté finally jumped in her car and headed straight for Long Island. The sun was still high in the sky which made the long journey pretty at least, even if the constant sounding of traffic and backed up cars for as far as the eye could see slowly started to drive her insane.

Work had kept Esté busy since coming back to New York and she was thankful that she was able to continue her jobs that she'd picked up in London back at home. She worked tirelessly at all hours of the day to join meetings in different continents and time zones, losing track of days when she forgot to sleep or simply didn't have time because the hours all felt the same.

The Fourth of July party that her parents hosted had always been the closest thing to peace that the family ever had. The house and garden were always filled with family and friends, laughter and singing while fireworks lit up the night sky as people gathered on the sand to stare up in awe.

George always made sure to leave his phone in a bedroom upstairs so he wouldn't be disturbed by work, a tradition that started one year after a young Esté sobbed her eyes out when her father had missed the prettiest fireworks she swore she'd ever seen because he was busy on the telephone.

That year, Esté hoped to do the same thing. She wanted to switch off from the world, even if it was just for one night, and enjoy some peace and quiet with the people that had been a part of her childhood.

She arrived at her home just after eight o'clock, slinging her car on the side of the driveway and slipping inside and up the stairs to her bedroom without being noticed. Music echoed throughout the house and conversations filtered through the doors and walls, a stunning sight to see the place looking so alive as Esté walked out onto her balcony to take a peek at the party.

She quickly showered, deciding to leave on the makeup from her shoot earlier that day before slipping on a white sundress and gold heeled sandals, her hair in waves that day instead of her usually Hollywood curls.

Esté looked at little different that night, at least she thought she did as she looked at her reflection in the mirror. Her makeup wasn't as dramatic or deep as it normally was, her natural complexion shining through the light skin tint and her blue eyes lined with white instead of black. Coating her lips in a clear gloss, Esté spritzed a fresh perfume across her chest before leaving her phone on her bedside table and heading downstairs into the party.

"Here she is! Finally, darling, so good to have you here."

George's voice broke through the several different conversations that surrounded him, a beaming smile of pride and joy lighting up his blue eyes as he walked over to his daughter with open arms, hugging her tightly.

"Traffic was awful, sorry I'm so late."

"Don't worry sweetheart, the party never really starts until you're here anyway. Drink?"