6. The Unknown

Ashtyn

I was attacked by Liam's men. Why? Because I had the audacity to try to harm his only son! Like he never did anything of that sort to anyone! My arm was bleeding as I sat under my usual tree, breathing painfully. My eyes were wet inside and probably seemed like shining black diamonds. It was so cold that my wound ached twice as much with each thrust of the wild wind. My hair had grown longer and my hood threatened to leave my head as I desperately tried to keep myself hidden.

Blue eyes scanned me from the window of the mansion as I fought the pain. I got up holding my bleeding arm tightly with my left hand as I gathered courage to walk away. I was just attacked a few metres away by Liam's men so I could leave his son alone. I had finally come so far, nothing could stop me now. A bolt of sharp pain from my arm to the rest of my body caused me to fall. I held the ground, both my arms now filled with blood as I moaned. Damn Liam and his men. I'd see them all. When I'd be done with them, they wouldn't have the courage to even protest before being killed.

Before I saw him, the scent of vanilla and sea breeze made me aware of his presence. I looked at him, fear gripping me for the first time. I was vulnerable and he would use it against me. That was why I hated being vulnerable. I tried to get up again, but failed desperately and fell-onto the ground? No, I fell into soft arms. I looked up into his blue eyes; they were scared. I immediately moved inches away from him and sat next to the tree, half hugging it. "Since when are you scared of me, Enigma?" He whispered.

He moved forward his hands, which had some blood on them, to show me some bandages. I stared at him, but didn't move an inch. He motioned towards them as I kept gaping at them. He was the enemy, so why was he being kind? Nobody had been kind to me since long, so long. "Can I touch you?" He said sitting next to me though keeping his distance. "Huh?" I looked at him confused. "To bandage you." He offered me a smile. I looked away and said, "I can do that myself" He threw the bandages at me along with a few tissues and medicine.

Although I wanted to ignore, my pain got the better of me so I rolled my sleeve up and started wiping the blood away. All this time Nash just continued to stare in the opposite direction though his senses were on high alert. He got up and went back inside the mansion as I applied medicine and bandaged my wound. By the time I was done, I found Nash in front of me with a tray in his hands. He put it down next to me, gave me a small smile and left without a word.

A slice of pizza, a glass of water and some pain killers awaited me. My stomach grumbled as I examined everything. Was this another way to harm me? But then why would the enemy bandage me before killing me? The pizza seemed and smelled normal; I would have known if it was poisoned. Reluctantly, I started eating. After eating and drinking, I put the tray at the mansion door and left, gaining energy.

The next day, as I strolled around casually, I found Nash hidden behind a few trees. His face was depressed; I was the reason of his depression. Something in me just twisted. I sighed as I stood in front of him, in my signature black clothes and hood. He looked up and said, "How's your arm?" I smirked, "Ask Daddy dearest. He's the one who did it." He stared at me and his jaw clenched.

I sat next to him in complete silence, thinking what to say. I owed him, and I hated owing people. Maybe you didn't owe your enemies. "Sorry." He said after a long pause. "Apology declined." I let out a deep chuckle. "Your laughs are as fake as you." He said in an angry tone. "I'll take it as a compliment." I continued smirking as he breathed heavily.

He looked at my bandaged arm and pulled out a marker from his jeans pocket. His chestnut hair were wild as he turned in my direction. His right arm inched closer as he drew a little star on my bandaged arm all while I was staring at him, something in me cracking up.

I'll always draw stars around your scars.

He got up after smiling at me, and it was the purest smile anyone had given me since so long. "Your arm looks much better. Get well soon, Enigma, though I doubt you wish well for your stalker. Especially one who's bent on driving you mad. Have a good day." He walked away from me as I stared at the star on my arm. Was he driving me mad too?

Nash

I tried finding Isabella but even after a week of extensive search, it seemed as if she had disappeared from the face of earth. I could not remember my childhood as much as I tried. I only ended up getting a severe headache. I was in the hospital, done with the day's shift and ready to go home. Home. Nora did her best to help me out of this bad phase but I stayed away from everyone. Sulked around here and there and tried to go home only to have a bed to sleep on.

My Enigma was becoming bolder and bolder day by day. She no longer hid in the shadows. Though she kept her face hidden, we often sat next to eachother in silence, with me inhaling her scent of fog and the deadliest of sins. I, however, kept reminding myself that I could not trust her, so for that reason I kept a knife, the only weapon I could get, with me all the time. I kept all my senses alert, though shut down the sixth one who kept shouting that I was digging my own grave. Day by day, she became a permanent part of my life. We walked together towards the hospital and then back home and sat under trees in silence.

In all this, she never spoke. However, I drew stars on her bandaged arm which still hadn't healed and she wouldn't show it to me. Her arm was filled with stars, showing off my obsession with them. One day as we walked towards the mansion, Enigma finally spoke up in a deadly voice. Not that her voice was ever sweet. "You should be staying away from me, sunshine, I'm a major red flag." A smile curled upon my lips as I said, "What can I say, Enigma, red's my favourite colour."