8. Memories that bind

Ashtyn
7 years

He was sitting on the grass, sweat all over his face, his eyes glittering under the sun and his chestnut hair shining beacuse of the yellow light. I sat next to him and he immediately smiled, giving me one of the purest smiles. I only got such smiles from Father. Mother preferred Taryn over me though she tried not to make it too obvious, I understood. She was prettier and more expressive and moulded the way they wanted. Yet, I loved my family. Uncle and Aunt were nice to, though they only visited in holidays for staying, we met once in a month as we lived in the same city.

"Chocolate?" I offered Nash a huge bar. His mood lightened up as he took it from me. "You don't eat chocolate." He said taking a big bite. I smiled. I loved making him happy beacuse I knew my care would always be requited. "You like it, so I got it for you. I save all my chocolates for you." He gave me a side hug and continued to eat as we sat under the sun on a hot, summer day.

The other night, Nash took me to the roof, beacuse the stars were looking exceptionally beautiful. We both stood in silence as I awed at the sky. I looked through the corner of my eye and saw him smiling at me. I raised an eyebrow at him and his words made my heart lighten up more than the stars did. "You're the most beautiful star, Ashy. I don't need to look up at the sky."

Nash
7 years

She smiled the most at me. She told me she'd always be there for me no matter what. She said she would always cheer me up. But I was sad now and where was she? Mom moved away from our house and came to stay with Nan and Nora. I liked Nora but I wanted her back. Where was she? She couldn't leave me when she promised she would always be by my side. I wanted to hug her, to hold her tightly so she would never go again. Mom told me to forget her but she was my favourite. How could I forget her? I needed her back. Mom wouldn't take me to her. I wanted to sit next to her and tell about the horrifying nightmares I had. I wanted to cry while resting my head on her shoulder. I wanted to look into her dark, cave like eyes and make her smile. But she was gone, forever. She left me alone. Why, Ashy?

Ashtyn
9 years

Father always wanted me to grow up and become a psychologist. He said that people had monsters in their brain and I should help them to drive them away. Did Mother also have those monsters? Why was she so different? I was going to study so hard that I would become what Father wanted and drive away everyone that hurt Mother. I would make Father proud so he smile at me from the heavens. I would make him so proud that when I would die he would hug me again like he used to when he was with me. Tears threatened to leave my eyes but Father always said I was strong and I had to cope up with everything. I had to fight what was wrong; I was going to make everything better. Soon.

Nash
9 years

She was there, in my dreams with eyes that made you go in a trance. Yet I didn't know who she was. My Mom and therapist said she was just a creation of my brain but she had been someone real. Someone I had a deep connection with. She was part of my past, part of my nightmares, but who was she? Mom said my mind was playing games but something in me didn't want to believe this. Day by day she was disappearing from my mind, my nightmares, my life. Slowly, I could no longer remember the shape of her eyes, not even that exact colour. She was gone. Forever.

Ashtyn
9 years

I missed him, the boy who was sunshine in my dark and cloudy sky. He brought the smile on my face that no one else could. He made me feel. I hadn't seen him since so long and my heart ached for him. The only person I felt something for after everything that had happened, just disappeared from my life. I hated him for that, for leaving me alone in this cruel world. He was my last hope and he abandoned me too like everyone else. I hate him too even though my heart said otherwise. I was going to forget him. He was nothing to me anymore, nothing. I would forget him and never think about those pretty eyed again. If only it was as easy as it seemed to be.

Nash
15 years

Life was normal. We lived in a huge apartment, me, Mom, Nora and Nan. Nora and Mom both went to work while Nan was always with me. I made many friends in school. Dad never showed up and missed him so much. But soon I started to hate him. I tried to keep these feelings at bay but they were so strong. He left me and Mom alone and I vowed never to waste time thinking about him again. He was jerk not worthy of even being called my Dad. Mom agreed he was wrong and told me to forget him. But he was my Dad, how could I have forgotten him so easily?

Ashtyn
15 years

Every time I looked at Mother and Taryn, hate for the man who ruined us increased. I would do everything to make him pay. Even if it meant loosing every little thing I had left. But I had to wait and not become overly emotional. My time would come and Liam Swayer would regret his very existence. The man who took everything away from me would be left with nothing in the end. I just had to wait, patiently, if only it were that easy. It wasn't everyone's thing you know, to hate with so much love and passion. I. Loathed. Him. And. I. Would. Destroy. Him.

Nash
17 years

Somebody once told me to become a neurosurgeon. He was a part of the memories I had forgotten. Something in me said that he was an important person. Nobody knew what I was talking about. It wasn't Dad, no. It was someone else. Who? I did not know. But I loved the man's idea. I would become a neurosurgeon like he suggested. Maybe someday I'd remember him. Maybe I was being delusional. But since I had interest in the profession, I decided that it was what I was going to do without a second thought. Maybe one day the man would show up and be so proud of me for fulfilling his wish. But who was he?

My Mom did not like the idea, who knows why, but Nora and Nan supported me. And there was my future decided.

Ashtyn
18 years

As I held my psychology books and went to university, my heart ached so bad that I felt I would suffocate. My eyes were wet, my hands shaking, and hair dishevelled from me pulling them. I shivered as I walked boldly. It was his dream and I was going to fulfill it. I was going to make him smile up there. I. Was. Not. Weak. I was Ashtyn Rowyn, daughter of the man who's blood was cursed. I would make him pay, the clock was ticking quick; just a few more years and nothing would stop me. I had to make Father proud first.