9- texts

"How's she doing?" They spoke in an cold, smooth, tone, that slit the air like a slick knife.

"She's doing... she's doing well, so far. The pair of them got through easily, boss." Even with their back turned, they could hear the nerves in their assistants voice; fear even. Good. That's how it should be. But there was more to discuss.

"The others in the competition?"

"Oh, um," there was the sound of crumpled paper unfolding and a throat being cleared. "7 teams failed to complete the task within the time limit, and 2 teams managed to complete the task, but cheated. This means 9 teams in total are to be expelled from the competition, including the public's favourite: Pippa Fi-"

"That's enough."

There was a long pause. "Thisleaves21moreteamsintherunningfortheprize,"

"ENOUGH!" The quiet stammering faded quickly. After taking a moment to rearrange their face, they turned to their employee fixed, gentle smile. "Try not to mumble... I wouldn't want to yell at you again, would I?" The assistant nodded, and stared at the ground, silent. Pitiful.

"Is she set to pass the next challenge?" They continued turning away from the trembling person. No reply. "Is she set to pass the next challenge?" They repeated.

"Yes. She is."

"And how's our little spy doing?"

"Not much contact. Unfortunately."

"So not much to update."

"No."

"Fine." They smirked to themselves, and reclined in their chair. "Send her a little message from me. But remember, Aru Shah will be mine. And she will be powerless to stop it."

~~~

Aru's pov:

"Good afternoon everyone! How was your first day?" Kara took a seat at the end of the table, spooned some salad onto her plate and smiled at them expectantly.

"Awful!"

"Who made Opal so mean?"

"She's a monster!"

"The foods good,"

"Why did you leave us?!"

"...Not the best."

"What kind of dimwit insults this outfit!?"

"Pretty bad." Concluded Josh and Kemi. There was a pause.

"That bad huh?" Kara sighed, with a sympathetic grimace. "She wasn't friendly, but I assumed she had some redeeming qualities."

"If she does," Nikita grumbled , "it's hidden by a LOT of garish sequins."

"Opal's just evil." Kemi said, matter-of-fact.