Chapter 5

He is here.

"Yes," aunty said as she was butting the last button on Kevin's shirt. 

"Do I need to attend the wedding?" he said as he was adjusting his tie. He was looking so handsome in his black tuxedo. At the age of seventeen, he was as tall as my dad or a couple of inches more. 

"Yes now let's go, we need to reach there on time," she said in her firm voice as she took my and Kevin's hand as we walked towards the door. I turned and kept looking at him because he looked so handsome today. His amber eyes fell on me and he flashed me his full teeth smile making me turn my head as my cheeks burn red. It was my first time seeing a wedding and my eyes were so mesmerised by y all the decorations and flowers. I saw how the groom looked at his bride lovingly and how everyone cherished them. And the bride's dress was so beautiful. I wanted to wear it when I grew up. I was unknowingly planning things for myself in my ten-year-old mind as a big smile played on my lips. 

"Aunty, I will wear the same dress as her at my wedding," I said to aunty in my excited voice as she was feeding me and Kevin. I could wait to wear that dress. He was sitting beside me eating his food silently but when I said those words his amber eyes fell on me. Kevin rolled his eyes at me as he was still annoyed at me for what happened earlier. 

"Yes dear I will buy you the most beautiful dress in the world," she said with a big smile on her face as she put some food in my mouth. 

"But whoever will marry her, the groom will run away looking at her face. She is ugly" Kevin said with a big grin on his face as he took revenge on me by calling me ugly. Those words somehow affected my ten-year-old mind. Am I ugly? This thought never crossed my mind but now. The big smile I was having on my face faded away as Kevin gave me his lopsided grin. Tears welled up in my eyes because all the dreams I saw were never going to come into existence. 

"Kevin, say sorry to her now" aunty scolded him. 

"No," he said as he showed his tongue to me. 

"Kevin" aunty said in a warning tone with her narrowed eyes. She was about to do something when my cell phone rang. 

"Mom, you take it. I will make sure Kevin says sorry to luna" he said in his firm voice I felt his eyes on but I kept my head down. Aunty sighed and walked away with the cell phone in her hand. 

"Kevin says sorry to her," he said in his firm voice but Kevin refused and I started crying as a tear slipped from my eyes. I slipped down from my chair and ran away as more tears fell from my eyes. 

"Luna" he called my name but I didn't stop and ran towards the garden as more fat tears fell from my eyes. 

"Luna" a big hand gripped my small one making me stop in my tracks. 

"I don't want to go in. Let me go," I said in my sad voice trying to get my hand out of his. 

"No, we are not going in. Now come here," he said in his firm voice as he dragged me to the nearest bench in the garden. He took his seat but I was still standing with my head held low. 

"Come here," he said and made me sit on his lap, making me look at him with tearful eyes but I lowered them again as his amber eyes met my teary ones. 

"Are you shedding tears from your beautiful eyes because Kevin called you ugly?" he asked in his soft voice and he wiped my freshly rolled tear from the back of his finger. I bobbed my head slowly. 

"Look at me Luna," he said in his soft voice as he put his finger under my chin and made me look at him. 

"You are more beautiful than any girl present here," he said looking straight into my eyes, making my eyes wide again. Was he telling the truth or was he trying to make me feel better? Does he too think I'm ugly? My mind asked me. 

"But Kevin said I’m ugly, my groom will run away after looking at my face," I said as new warm tears rolled down from my eyes. 

"No he will not, he will be the luckiest man on earth if you choose to marry him," he said those words looking straight into my glass eyes. 

"Will you marry me?" Those innocent words fell out of my mouth as my crush on him had the best of me. His eyes widened as I said those words and he became quiet. I knew he was only saying those words. Why will he marry me? Today So many beautiful girls came to him to ask him to dance with him. He will marry one of them and not me. That thought made more tears fall from my eyes. 

"I will marry you, Luna," he said with his eyes fixed on my face as his finger again wiped my long tear. Those words made me look at him with surprised eyes and my heart jolted up in happiness as my ten-year-old mind believed his lies. 

"So you are my boyfriend now," I asked in my excited voice. 

"Yes I'm," he said with a full teeth smile on his face, making me giggle in excitement. 

"Then when we go on our first dates like boyfriend and girlfriend go in drama aunty watches," I asked with the same excitement as I remembered watching it on tv. 

"Hmmm date," he said as he thought for a bit. 

"Once you are old enough I will ask you, dad, to let you go on a date with me," he said with the same assuring smile on his face. 

"Promise," I asked with hopeful eyes. 

"Promise, my Luna," he said, making me giggle as his words soothe my heart. That night he inky danced with me and from that day onwards my innocent self started to see the rest of my life with him. 

More tears fell from my eyes as the memory of that day made my heart pain even more. From that day I waited and waited for my eighteenth birthday but now the empty bubble I was in all these years was broken. He had promised that day to make me his girlfriend but he brought a new one before I even turned old enough for him. My stupid innocent self kept believing his lie and I'm now facing consequences for believing him with my closed eyes. He said those words only to make a ten-year-old stop crying.

I misunderstood those words for a promise how stupid of me.