01. prologue

Kunugigaoka Junior High School.

Welcome to the intriguing world of Kunugigaoka Junior High School, a prestigious institution shrouded in a dark and corrupt aura. This highly-respected educational establishment has become a breeding ground for corruption, where the pursuit of knowledge takes a backseat to sinister agendas.

Behind the facade of academic excellence, the faculty and administration of Kunugigaoka Junior High School have succumbed to the allure of power and greed. Where the students suffer as their greed reigns upon the population, they must only succeed if they listen to adults orders. Right?

Correct.

Within this twisted environment, the students themselves are unwitting pawns in a game of manipulation. The corrupt faculty, driven by their own selfish desires, exploit the vulnerabilities of these young minds, molding them into social rankings taking accountability with their academics. Academics and behavior only.

At this establishment, the top student scores not even full marks, but more than that. Her hard work dominated the schools rankings, beating the gifted child of the Principal, Asano Gakushuu, a wealthy prodigy.

Her name is (L/N)(Y/N). Becoming a target,

having the most unexpected even happen to the top and gifted student.

- (y/n) pov -

"The top student is moving into Class 3-E? Did her grades sink?"

"Did she commit a crime of some sort? She's so kind to everybody! It's unbelievable."

"Isn't she the one who beat Asano-kun in midterm ranking through first year to our third year?"

"Such a rare occurrence, something similar happened with that crazy bastard Akabane. I guess lunatics rub off each other..."

Thud.

The once heard noises of gossip echoing within the hallways of this nightmare fades away as the sounds of a student crashing into the walls of the classrooms, soon plummeting to the grounds with a humiliating look on their face.

"Hey... You don't need to mention anything. You guys should learn to keep your mouths shut."

Akabane Karma. A genius, a prodigy, and sadist who was dropped down the social ladder of glory, all to Class 3-E, the class nicknamed of disgraces and lost causes. Also known as my best friend, childhood friend at that, who I have seen grow up from a cheeky little kid to a bastard now.

"Karma, you don't need to be so mean..." I help up the slapped student, Karma deathly glaring at him.

"I understand why they're so confused... Even I'm confused... Ha..." I hopelessly try to calm him down, I understand he's frustrated with how others are talking about me. Especially... looking down on me for being friends with him, after what happened to him...

"Crazy fucking bastard..!"

"Let's get out of here..."

"Haah—...."

My eyes begin to blur.

Tears fill my ears and suddenly... I can't hear anything, everything is muffled.

It seemed like my world was ending..Why. Why. Why. What happened?

What did I do wrong? Was it because I missed a couple problems on the practice tests? Or is it because I wasn't actively participating in class?

Were my after school monitoring not enough?

Was I not enough?

All my hard work,

for nothing.

I dropped limply to the floor feeling nothing but only numbness, tears staining the floor I once proudly walked on each and every day. All to reach the top. To make my late parents, proud.

"Hey."

Warmth. The only thing I was able to feel in that moment. All I could confide in.

"..Karma... What did I do... wrong...?" He kneeled down to me, sitting down right next to me. Hiding my face, he embraced me while rubbing my back, attempting to comfort me as I cry into his chest.

"You didn't do anything wrong. It'll be okay. I'm here for you. Just cry to me, I'll be here the whole time." All I could do was just cry. Cry even harder. I was unable to understand why this happened to me? I've always been a good student, civilized, respectful, and responsible. I was the perfect student.

As I continued to sob, the numbness began to fade, where I only felt a pain in my heart that was piercing my dignity. Karma. My childhood friend, the one who has seen me through thick and thin, growing up together from toddlers to now teenage years, holds me close and whispers reassuring words I needed to hear.

"You are not in the wrong. I have seen you study and shit, you work like a machine. I've never met another person who is as focused and inspiring than you. Your parents are proud, they acknowledge your hard work. I acknowledge your hard work, your dedication and determination have brought you to the top of our school. Maybe you're being transferred to the lowest class, but you're still the top student in my eyes. From your devotion to your studies, passion to changing lives, and sacrificing sleepless nights for your stupid exams where you always score over full marks on. You have done your part (Y/N), you've done well..."

His warmth was all I needed for me to calm down... He smells like strawberries... His touch...As the sunset reigned down onto the windows of the main campus, the sunshine gleamed onto Karma's golden eyes... His hair scented of strawberries and glistening through the sunlight. His calming demeanor brought me to ease...

I began to doze off.... holding onto the warmth I found comfort in. Dozing off to the embrace of his soft hands and reassuring words. The last thing I heard before I fell asleep...

"Goodnight, Ohime-sama~"