Chapter 1: The Boring Lecture

[Kanade pov]

I was sitting on the rough seat in the lecture hall as Choco-sensei droned on about our assignment for later. It was hard to focus, not necessarily because it was closer and closer to the release time, and I was looking at the clock with anticipation, but because of the girl sitting next to me on my right.

"Zzz..." the woman snored loudly, surprising me that no one has come over here to declare their annoyance with it. Drool seeped from her mouth and across the table like a desk.

"Hajime!" Choco-sensei loudly sighed.

The girl peered up, her eyes pried shut, and slowly began to open them. Not being adjusted to the light made this tough for her. "Ye—yeah?" She questioned herself as she wiped the drool from her face.

Choco-sensei cleared her throat swiftly. "May you please repeat the assignment?"

"Yes, you want us to write an essay about a period of time of our choosing, and you want us to write about how the economy has changed between then and now," she said.

"I... huh, that's correct."

I was going to be impressed, but I could see the girl next to her had written it down and let her read what she had written. I wasn't really paying attention before, but I got a good look at them now.

The girl that was just woken has short blonde hair with streaks of lilac within it, two small pigtails under a white hat, lilac eyes as well, and a pastel collar with loose socks.

Meanwhile, the girl who helped her just now looked really classy. She has long, faded orange hair that ends in reddish highlights with hair clips and orange eyes with an ahoge. Sunglasses rested on her head, and her outfit spoke money too.

"Can I go back to sleep?"

Choco-sensei glared daggers at the girl. "No!" was the simple answer.

The girl picked up a pencil and began to restlessly play with it, distracting me more.

Hajime doesn't have a good track record; she is the talk of the school for negative reasons; she wants to be a "badass," so she is a delinquent, supposedly with no redeeming qualities; however, deep down, I see a kusogaki searching for validation.

"Achoo!" She sneezed

She began looking around as if she had realized I had called her a kusogaki in my head, but that isn't even possible.

The minutes racked up, and the class ended. Hajime got up and rushed out with the orange-haired girl following her. I took notice of how fast she had gathered her things, but then I noticed something she left behind. It looked like a penguin keychain. I inspected it, lifting it up to get a good look.

"Oh, what's that?" My friend Ao said this as she leaned on the desk next to me.

In a way, Ao was the exact opposite of that orange-haired girl; she looks really well put together and looks like she has a lot of money, while Ao is more unkempt but somehow is also immaculately dressed. 

Ao has short, dark hair that's sort of a mullet with blue-ish streaks or highlights tied back into a small ponytail and beautiful blue eyes. She wears a grey pinstripe suit over a black shirt. Usually, some would say she is boring and dull. She clutched onto her sketchbook tightly so she wouldn't drop it.

"This is a keychain that Hajime must have dropped." I claimed

"Ah, I see..." Ao muttered. "Put it back then," she added right after saying that.

"Wait, I want to return it!!" I told her with a panicked look as I thought about the task.

Ao pursed her lips, releasing them with a "pop." She didn't seem to agree with my notion.