v.

"gojo-sensei, i'm home."

megumi who just got home from school called out for his teacher. his training with nobara and itadori ended a little bit late.

he found gojo sleeping in the couch with a laptop on. he stared at his teacher's face with dry tears streaked on his cheeks. megumi who became curious because gojo didn't let his vulnerability out and he's probably crying because of something he had watched.

there were various tapes scattered around the table and the laptop had the pause button. he quietly placed himself in front of the laptop and pressed the play button.

in the beginning there was darkness, but a girl their age or probably older than them sat in front of the camera.

she looked pretty. megumi thought in awe. although there was a dull look in your eyes and your skin looked like blood had been drained out of you, you looked effortlessly stunning.

"satoru, if you ever watched this tape, i'm already dead."

megumi slowly blinked at your blunt words. oh.

you let out a humorless laugh. "i'm sorry for my... vulgar words, satoru. i..." you looked down as you played with your fingers on your lap.

"y'know how i have this weird, but strong sense of intuition that always happened when i predict? i have that feeling—the exception is, i can feel it in my soul that i would already die. in this mission. that the higher ups assigned to me."

the spiky-haired boy observed how you took a deep breath as if you were resisting the urge to burst out.

"i'm sad because i won't be there to witness you slaughtering them." you gave the camera a sweet smile.

your smile dropped and you looked away from the camcorder. the grainy effect made you look more... vintage. just a memory from the past. you were once someone's person and now you were just someone's memory...

"i'm sorry if i wouldn't be able to fulfill my promise to you—to never leave you behind. i'm sorry if i wouldn't be there to wipe your tears when you cry. i'm sorry if i wouldn't be able to lend my shoulders for you to cry on. i..." your voice cracked and tears started to fall like crystals on your cheeks.

megumi could feel the pain she's feeling and his lips turned into frown.

"i'm sorry if i was giving up, not bothering to fight for my life because to be honest, satoru, i ask myself at night with the question: who am i doing this for?"

when the teenage boy looked at you, he felt like you were seeing him. like you were sitting in front of him, asking a simple question.

"is it for the civilians so they won't have to endure anymore? is it for the children so they won't have to go to war anymore? is it for the future so they would be able to live a peaceful life? or..."

"is it for the selfish elders who send children to fight for the sins they have committed?"

oh.

"why do the children have to pay for their forefathers' sins?"

a sob broke you out and megumi could only watch in pain as you went hysterical.

it was saddening to see you—a person who clearly the world doesn't deserve—need to sacrifice your life for the betterment of the world.

that's how a jujutsu sorcerer works, unfortunately. you clearly don't belong in this world. in this cruel, awful world.

"whoever manages to find this tape, i hope you will take care of my friends—satoru, suguru, and shoko. i hope you will give them the patience to grieve and to mourn. i hope you will be able to give them the care and support they deserved. i hope you will be able to see them for who they are, and not for what they are. i hope you will be able to see hope during the darkest times. and i hope you will be able to feel grateful even if your life is just a borrowed time." you tilted your head and delicately smiled.

you let out a last giggle. "this is [last name][name], signing off. goodbye." you pulled the camera closer to your face and gave a smooch.

the laptop went black and megumi could only blankly stare at the wall.

what a world they live in.

such a life doomed from the start and they could only wait as death came for their friend.

what a... life.

you didn't know then, your death is the beginning of all tragedies.