The Golden Quadruplet

Prologue - First Year

Chapter Seven

HARRY SAT DOWN NEXT TO THE WINDOW, half hidden, he could watch the red-haired family on the platform. He looked around at the other families saying goodbyes to each other, then he saw a certain black-haired girl talking with a pale-blonde boy. He recognized him as the one from Madam Malkin's shop.

He felt a small pang of jealousy of how she was quick to find friends, while he had only met her and none other. But again it wasn't like he initiated to it.

Then a whistle sounded, stopping Harry of his train of thoughts.

The train began to move, Harry saw the red-haired boy's mother waving and their sister, half laughing, half crying, running to keep up with the train until it gathered too much speed, then she fell back, and waved.

Houses flashed past the window. Harry felt a great leap of excitement. He didn't know where he was going to – but it had to be better than what he was leaving behind.

The door of the compartment slid open and the youngest red-headed boy came in, with Ariadne on his heels, sitting opposite of Harry.

''Sorry, Harry. I lost track of time.'' the girl gave him a genuine smile.

''It's alright, Ari.''

''Anyone sitting there?'' the red-haired boys asked, pointing at the seat besides Harry. ''Everywhere else is full.''

Harry shook his head and the boy sat down. He glanced at Harry and then looked quickly away, pretending he hadn't looked.

''Hey, Ron.'' The twins were back.

''Listen, we're going down to the middle of the train – Lee Jordan's got a giant tarantula down there.''

''A tarantula. Really?!'' Ariadne looked at them in excitement.

''Oh, you're the friend Harry mentioned earlier.'' one of the twin said. Ariadne nodded.

''Let us introduce ourselves. Fred and George Weasley. And this is Ron, our brother. If you want to see the tarantula just stop by our compartment, Ariadne. See you later.''

''Bye'' said Ariadne, Harry and Ron. The twins slid the compartment door shut behind them.

''Are you really Harry Potter?'' Ron blurted out.

Harry nodded.

''Oh – well, I thought it might be one of Fred and George's jokes.'' Ron said. "And have you really got – you know..."

He pointed at Harry's forehead. Harry pulled back his bangs to show the lightning scar. Ron stared. ''Wow.''

''I heard you went to live with Muggles,'' Ron broke the awkward silence. ''What are they like?''

''Horrible – well, not all of them. My aunt and uncle and cousin are, though. Wish I'd had three wizard brothers.''

''Five,'' Ron corrected. For some reason, he was looking gloomy. ''I'm the sixth in our family to go to Hogwarts. You never get anything new, either, with five brothers. I've got Bill's old robes, Charlie's old wand, and Percy's old rat.''

Ron reached inside his jacket and pulled out a fat gray rat, which was asleep.

''His name's Scabbers and he's useless, he hardly ever wakes up. Percy got an owl from my dad for being made a prefect, but they couldn't aff– I mean, I got Scabbers instead.''

''...'' Ariadne looked like she also wanted to say something, but remained quiet. Who's more likable a rat or a snake, the rat would have the upper hand. Harry must have noticed how she shifted nervously in her seat.

You see, Harry already knew about her pet snake. He hasn't seen it but thought it was cool. He also told her that he accidentally set a python on his cousin Dudley.

When he was about to speak the compartment door opened. A girl with long messy brown hair stood there, looking slightly awkward.

''Can I sit here?'' she asked, pointing at the seat beside Ariadne. The trio looked at each other and nodded.

There was a moment's silence when she said, ''I'm Hermione, by the way. Hermione Granger.''

''Ron Weasley.''

''Ariadne Soleil.''

''Nice to meet you, Ron and Ariadne.'' She smiled.

''Harry Potter.'' Harry introduced.

''I've heard of you,'' she said casually, ''It's good to meet you.''

''Do you have a wizarding family?'' Harry asked.

''No.'' she answered immediately. ''I'm the only one in my family who's a witch. It really came as a surprise, but it's better than having to go back to a Muggle school.''

Harry smiled. He wasn't the only one who was new to the magic world.

While they had been talking, the train had carried them out of London. Now they were speeding past the fields full of cows and sheep. They were quiet for a time, watching the fields and lanes flick pass. During the trainride Ariadne and Hermione talked about different spells, they both had read about in their school books. Harry and Ron just sat and tried to find heads and tails in their conversation.

Ariadne also became comfortable enough to show them Nathair. Ron looked like he wanted to have nothing to do with them, but Harry and Hermione looked at him in awe. She did tell them he was tame, of course. When he started to get bored of their company he slid back in his box, where he spent more time than with Ariadne.

Her flicker of hope of finding friends, grew even more with the trio. She didn't tell them about her living in an orphanage though. At least not yet.

''You know. You're not so bad. I wish there were more people who was like you, even though you're a pureblood. Judging by the way you talk from time to time, you seem like one of those, who think they are better.''

''To be honest, I was a little reluctant of who I should be friends with, as I don't have any good memories with muggles, but you're cool. Like they say, never judge a book by its cover.'' she paused for a few seconds. ''But what if we end up in different houses?''

''Judging by our time together, I would say that it doesn't matter.''

Ariadne had never felt so happy before, she somehow knew that those three could only bring the best out of her.

Ariadne peered out of the window; it was getting dark. He could see mountains and forests, under a deep purple sky. As they got nearer the school, they had to change into their robes.

After a while, a voice echoed through the train: ''We will be reaching Hogwarts in five minutes' time. Please leave your luggage on the train, it will be taken to the school separately.''

The train slowed right down and stopped. People pushed their way towards the door, out on the dark platform. A lamp came bobbing over the heads of the students, Ariadne and Harry heard a familiar voice: ''Firs' years! Firs' years over here! All right there, Harry? Ariadne?''

''C'mon, follow me – any more firs' years? Mind yer step, now! Firs' years follow me!''

They followed Hagrid down what seemed to be a steep, narrow path. It was so dark on both sides, that Harry thought there must be thick trees there. Nobody spoke much.

''No more'n four to a boat!'' Hagrid called, pointing to a fleet of little boats sitting in the water by the shore. Ariadne and Harry were followed into their boat by Ron and Hermione.

And the fleet of little boats moved off all at once, across the lake, which was as smooth as glass. Everyone was silent, staring up at the great castle overhead. It towered over them as they sailed nearer and nearer to the cliff on which it stood.