Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw and Slytherin

First Year

Chapter Eight

HAGRID RAISED HIS GIGANTIC FIST and knocked three times on the castle door and the door swung open at once. There was a wide marble staircase opposite of the door they had just gone through. At the top of the staircase, there stood a tall witch in emerald-green robes with a very stern face.

''The firs' years, Professor McGonagall.'' Hagrid said.

''Thank you, Hagrid. I will take them from here.''

When Hagrid left, the witch turned to the first years and began to speak.

''Welcome to Hogwarts. Now, in a few moments, you will pass through these doors and join your classmates. But before you take your seats in the Great Hall, you will be sorted into your houses. The Sorting is a very important ceremony because, while you are here, your house will be something like your family within Hogwarts.''

Ariadne smiled and looked at her newfound friend, who was also smiling at her. But not knowing, Draco, who stood further on the left of the first year crowd, scowled at the girl who didn't turn her attention to him.

''The four houses are called Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw and Slytherin. Each house has its own noble history and each has produced outstanding witches and wizards. While you are at Hogwarts, your triumphs will earn your house points, while any rule-breaking will lose house points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the house cup, a great honor. I hope each of you will be a credit to whichever house becomes yours.''

''The Sorting Ceremony will take place in a few minutes in front of the rest of the school. I suggest you all smarten yourselves up as much as you can while you are waiting.''

Her eyes lingered for a moment on Ron's smudged nose. Harry nervously tried to flatten his hair. And Ariadne who fidgeted because she couldn't contain her excitement.

''I shall return when we are ready for you,'' Professor McGonagall said. ''Please wait quietly.'' She then left the chamber.

''It is true then. What they're saying on the train. Harry Potter has come to Hogwarts.'' a familiar voice said. Every first year looked amongst themselves and whispered.

''This is Crabbe. And Goyle.'' Draco motioned with his head towards the two boys besides him. Then he faced Harry. ''And I am Malfoy. Draco Malfoy.''

Ron snickered at him, only for Draco to mock him for being a Weasley. ''Red hair, and a hand-me-down robe. You must be a Weasley.''

''And so what.'' Ariadne confronted Draco. She knew well enough how Ron must have been feeling. ''Just because you're a Malfoy, don't make you any better than the Weasley. I can even tell you a handful amount of things how why you shouldn't mock him.''

Draco didn't comment on her confrontation and choose to ignore her and turned his attention to Harry again. ''You don't want to making friends with the wrongs sorts. I can help you there.''

Draco extended his hand to Harry, But he didn't even bother to polite towards Draco. ''I think, I can tell wrong sorts by myself, thanks.'' To which Draco scowled angrily. Fortunately, McGonagall arrived with a scroll in her hand, making Draco return to his friends.

In her mind, Ariadne thanked the witch for appearing, before things could get out of hand.

''Move along now, the Sorting Ceremony's about to start.'' she said with a sharp voice. ''Now, form a line and follow me.''