Chapter 4

"Uncle, could I speak with you for a moment?" Abigail said as she stood in the doorway of his study. Sunlight peeked through a luxurious glass window behind him, splashing over scrolls and books haphazardly spewed over the top of an ornate wood desk. Samual sat at it, his hair in all different directions, his fingers stained black from the inkwell. He looked tired, and unwell.

"What is it?" he said, sitting back, pinching the bridge of his nose. "I am quite busy."

"I apologize for my timing, but I wished to speak with you before the Duke arrives, for then we won't likely get a chance."

"Of course, I'm sorry, my response was rude. My mind could do with a break from this tedium," he smiled then, getting up. "Let's sit near the fire. It is still chilly today."

Abigail murmured thanks as he helped her sit on a cushioned stool, her other hand rubbing Mouse through the wrapping. Samual noticed the child, and his lips thinned, but he said nothing as he sat opposite her.

"She fares well?" he asked, steepling his fingers in front of him, looking into the fire.

"Splendidly. She's a very hungry girl. Cerla may not be able to keep up her wet nurse duties much longer. Her own child has been a year weaned now. We will likely have to switch to goat milk soon."

"Good. What do you wish to speak with me about?" he replied, distracted.

Abigail cleared her throat, her heart beating hard. She was nervous. She wanted so badly to have Mouse with her, and she was afraid Samual would say no, and find a different nanny for the child.

"Well, I wanted to speak with you about Mou... err, your daughter. Time is coming when I will be leaving Berrigan Keep."

Samual didn't respond, but turned to look at her. His eyes were sad. She reached out between them and put a hand over his forearm.

"Uncle, I have a proposal for you," she said, and took a nervous breath. "Let me take her with me."

He blinked, and stood abruptly. "You wish to... Take her from here?" he stuttered, more loudly than he should have.

Abigail nodded, and rocked Mouse, now stirring from the noise. "She would be with your sister, at Kirkam House, and with me. She could not have a more loving home. She would be cared for well. I think it best," she said in a rush, biting her lip when finished. It was bold, telling a lord what to do. But Mouse's happiness depended on it. Well, Mouse and her own. She fiercely wanted this child.

"You'd take on that responsibility?" he asked. "For someone so young, and not yet married, it would be a burden for you as well. What will happen when you wish to start your own family?"

"Do you remember when you visited with us at Kirkam House as a child? How there were always packs of children to play with. We would run from place to place, mud in our clothes, brambles in our hair. Happier times were not possible. She would have that. I wouldn't just be me raising her, uncle. My entire family would be at the ready."

He sat back down with a thud, burying his head in his hands. Abigail waited as he rubbed at his eyes, and then ran his hands through his hair. She put her hand out again to touch him, feeling more confident.

"Do you want to raise this child, Uncle? If so, I will abide by your wishes. But I see how pained you are, and how busy you have become. Let me help you, and raise your daughter into a fine woman, like Harriet was."

"I don't know, Abigail. I... She should be here, with her father, with me. But you are right. I cannot raise a child, and I have no other women I would want to care for her save my mother, who would likely protest that she is now too old to chase a child. I had hoped you would decide to stay, but I know how much you miss your home," he said, putting his own hand over hers. "You do think it would be best for her?"

Abigail nodded, tears welling up behind her eyes. She dashed at them with the back of a hand, not wanting to cry in front of her uncle. That would not do. She was beyond words, her heart breaking with relief that he understood, but scared he was still saying no.

"No, no dearest, don't cry," he murmured, and moved closer to her. "I can see you love her very much. I am so indebted to you for your care of her these past few months. I could not have seen my way through without you."

They sat a moment, holding hands, while Samual looked into the fire again. He reached out and brushed fingertips over the tuft of dark hair peeking out through the wrappings, and smiled sadly. Abigail squeezed his hand and let go, adjusting her bundle up so he could see Mouse's sleeping face.

"She will know her father. She will have sisters, and brothers someday, and she will know happiness. I promise you this," she said thickly. "Please, Uncle."

He stood again, taking a deep, cleansing breath. She watched him, praying with her whole heart he would agree. She was near bursting when he finally spoke.

"Abigail, as usual, you have taken better care of me than I deserve. Yes, this is what is best for her. I can see that."

Relief flooded her like wind through the trees, and let her tears fall. She choked on them, and wrapped her arms around Mouse.

"Thank you."

Samual hesitated a moment, and then strode to his desk. He ruffled through papers, and came across one he peered at for a moment. He hastily scratched some words into the bottom of it, sanded it quickly, then rummaged through a drawer in the desk. Abigail watched him, drying her tears, wondering what notion had gotten into his head. He strode to the fireplace, and picked a wax pot off the shelf just inside the hearth, carrying it back with his shirtsleeve to the desk. He dropped a blob onto the paper, and then thrust a wax seal stamp into it.

After blowing on it a few moments and breaking the seal out of the wax with a quiet crack, he held it out to Abigail, who joined him at the desk, curious as to what had prompted his concentrated effort.

"What is it?" she asked, looking at the paper.

"Her name," he said quietly. He pointed to the top of the paper, where he declared her his first born daughter, and so named her Harriet Abigail of Berrigan. "And proof you are named her guardian."

Abigail blinked and smiled widely. She had a name! He had heard her, and had honoured her by giving the child her name as well.

Mouse was hers.

Just like that.