Chapter 15

The Duke began to laugh. A deep, healthy bray that shook his whole body, and he stepped forward and slapped Erik on the shoulder. Erik gave both the earl and Rex, who had joined them at this point, a plaintive look, but the Duke simply shook him lightly and let him go, wiping tears of mirth from his eyes.

"Ah! My runaway bride! I do remember that time. What a feast! So my new Commander, the sly fox, was the one who stole her from me," he said, and chuckled again. "Does Commander Torston know it was me she was intended for? Bring him here, I must know."

Everyone visibly relaxed, and Erik let out the air he had been nervously holding in. He heard Abigail do the same. Samuel beckoned for a page, whispering in his ear. The page ran off, and re-appeared with Erik's father in tow.

"Your Grace, My Lord, you have need of me?" Orrick asked, then turned and nodded at Abigail. "My Lady, you look well today. Is this your cousin you hold?"

Abigail smiled widely, and again Erik was struck by how it made his chest swell. She had the most beautiful smile, and it lit her face. He cleared his throat and forced himself to look away, staring an unbecoming trait he should not start.

"I am, thank you, Orrick. She is. Her name is Harriet, like her mother," Abigail replied brightly, and held the child up for his father to see.

"Beautiful," Orrick exclaimed quietly, then straightened. "You have been blessed in your time of grief, my Lord, if I may say."

Samual nodded, sadness briefly washing over his face before he hid it. Erik at that moment, did not recognize his father. His simple, plain, honest father had become like the nobles that they stood before. Polished and intelligent. Ready to banter, well aware of courtesy and tradition.

"So, Torston," the Duke interrupted. "I think I may have unfinished business with you, sir."

Erik watched his father's face as he regarded the Duke. His smile disappeared, and he returned to that of a dutiful soldier, standing to attention and folding his hands behind his back. "Aye, I expect you do."

"You cost me a bride, from what I hear," he said, and picked a cup off a tray a page had brought over. He took a sip, regarding Orrick over the rim, his eyes serious. "The Lady Emilie of Berrigan?"

There was the calculation and intelligence Erik knew was in there. He held his breath once more, and took a step to stand beside his father. If his father was to face the Duke, he would not do so alone, no matter what happened to them. He mirrored his father's stance and cleared his throat.

"Yes, your Grace. She is my wife still," his father said, strength in his voice, looking square at the Duke, his jaw set.

The Duke then broke into a smile and brayed out another laugh. "Rest, rest Torston, both father and son. Truly, I have no quarrel with you. You didn't even take the dowry, you devil, so I was not out a penny except for the trip!"

Orrick sagged very slightly and nodded, clearing his throat as Erik bowed his head. This was a strange situation they found themselves in, and he had no other to compare it to. How odd to be a simple man one day, and standing in front of Royalty the next.

"It was never my intention to insult you, your Grace," his father added after a moment.

"Nonsense. You saw a beautiful woman and you took her. An admirable adventure, I am sure, when it was all done," the Duke replied. "I was told that perhaps the lucky man had done me a great service, as some of the gossip was that the young lady was not exactly happy with the arrangement to marry me."

Some chuckles from everyone as the Duke drained his cup and sat on a stool some other servants had brought over, sighing heavily. "Come to think on it, my brother was very against it as well, but I didn't listen to him much back then. Our father had just died, Nathaniel just crowned, and I thought he was a pompous ass. I forged the royal assent and off we went before he could interfere. So in the end, no harm done, just my pride, which, as you can see, has recovered!"

More muted chuckles, and Erik relaxed, sharing the moment of levity as best he could. Thank God it had been so easy to reconcile a long ago scandal. He knew they were likely lucky, as the Duke was in a good mood, the gathering down the hill a sizeable one, which would allay any fears of not being suitable for the king. If the Duke had been less charitable... He wouldn't think it.

Time would tell if all the men were needed, and he squinted out at them, watching the uneven rows, the crude spears waving back and forth, the noise of shields and weapons clacking together in the morning air. Erik wondered at how they would move so many people, and what the Duke had planned, but it could wait. His family had been thrust into the light and he was at the centre of the uncovering. He wondered what his mother would say, when they told her. Hopefully she could fill in her side of the story, safely knowing it was no longer a secret to be guarded.

"Your Grace, if I may be bold," Orrick said, and cleared his throat then, silencing everyone in the tent. "I would like permission to ride to River Bend. I have not been home in five years. She and my daughter are there."

The Duke waved a hand and nodded, his chins wiggling with the effort, taking another long drink from his cup. "Of course! You can have a day or so to attend your family. Take your son. I have half a mind to come with you and see my Emilie again. Did she age well?"

"She will always be as beautiful as she was then, your Grace," Orrick said quietly, and Erik felt a hand on his shoulder as his father let his emotion show briefly before smiling again. Erik held himself in, and heard Abigail let out a soft sigh at the sentiment. Again, he felt out of place, an imposter in this gathering, and he was anxious, for the first time, to get back on his horse and ride down to the activity below them.

A breeze passed through the tent, and it snapped up the swaddling that Abigail was re-wrapping around the child. Erik lunged for it, caught it, and presented it back to her as she stood. Their hands touched as he gave it back to her, and their eyes met once again.

A deep, rich brown. Full of warmth and promise of comfort. He blinked, and she purposely looked away, breaking the moment. "My thanks, cousin," she murmured.

Erik stood up. "Your Grace, my Lord, Commander. I need to be down with the men, I take my leave." 

He bowed and rushed out of the tent before he could show how shaken he was.