Chapter 12

"How are your mother and Ylaine?" Orrick asked quickly. "I had hoped to be able to ride to home, but that may not happen now."

"Well. Mother, she gave me this—"

"Ylaine has not married yet, has she?" Orrick interrupted, before Erik could tell him about the sword. He knew his father had seen it. Had he known? It seemed less important right then, as his father put a hand on his son's shoulder, looking at him with a mix of happiness and sadness on his face.

"No."

His father let out a relieved sigh, and chuckled. "We'll have to remedy that soon, won't we?"

"Not without you and Craik home, father," Erik said quietly. "It wouldn't be right."

His father stayed silent, and they looked at each other. Now that Erik's eyes had adjusted, he could see his father more fully. He had more grey in his hair, but was unchanged but for a scar that ran down one cheek. Erik, on the other hand, was now a full adult, had grown in height considerably in the time his father had been gone. He likely was quite different. For one, he could look him in the eye now, whereas he had always looked up before. It was equally strange and reassuring, because there had always been the thought in the back of his mind that he would never see his father again, and stand equal with him as men. He felt restless at the thought.

"Of the Gods it is good to see you, son. You've grown so much. I had such fears I would never live to see it," Orrick said, reading his mind.

Erik motioned outwards towards the stables, and they began to walk. "I must write another letter to mother and Ylaine. I just sent one that all was well. they will be overjoyed to know you are here."

Orrick nodded. "I sent letters, did you not receive them?"

At the mention of his brother, Erik shook his head. "No. We've had no word. I have asked each time troops came through the village, and with all that has happened, I doubt any of the commanders I asked about you have looked for me."

"Damn. I did write, as did Craik. I'm so sorry they never reached you."

"It doesn't matter now, you're here," Erik replied.

"This is certainly quite a summons," his father murmured, changing the subject. "I had hoped there would never be another."

"Craik? Is he here?" Erik asked again, to keep the conversation light as they fell into step. It felt so familiar, like a day had not gone by since they would walk up the road to the forest where they let the sows root for morels and nuts from the trees. Stride for stride, matched in companionable silence, each enjoying the walk and the company.

"Craik is not here," Orrick said sadly. "He is still with the King's Army in Varaa."

"Varaa... You were there, across the sea?" Erik asked.

"We have had a long journey, my son," was all Orrick said as they rounded the corner and reached the stable.

Erik ducked his head under a beam in the loft as he stepped up from the ladder, and nodded at Niall, who was sitting at the top door, legs hanging out. Niall nodded back, and turned. "Your father found you, I see."

Erik sat on an upturned apple box and nodded, gesturing to his father, who joined them. The rest of the men were asleep, so they sat by the loft door, the fresh night air and slight breeze hitting them as they spoke quietly.

"How fares Cerrin?" Niall asked, scratching at his head, reaching for his wineskin. "Better?"

"Calm for now."

Orrick had hefted his swords off, and Erik could see the outline of the King's crest tooled on the chest flap. "Are you in the King's Guard?"

Orrick nodded. "I sought out the post upon returning home from Darine a month or so ago. I am a Commander of the Bethune ranks, but was summoned to ready the men here. I didn't come with the Duke, I was stuck finishing some work before I could leave, and followed a half-day behind."