Chapter 6

Abigail was sitting in the main hall, her skirts spread out, Mouse nestled and burbling away, kicking her feet and grasping at the end of her braids as she leant over.

"Oh my, you are feisty today! Look at you!" she cooed, and then tickled Mouse's stomach. A happier sound emanated from the child, and Abigail giggled.

Noise from the main entrance to the hall caught her attention, and Rex, her uncle's bookman, and an officer strode in, the rushes cracking under their boots in their haste. Behind them was a tall, dark-haired man, dressed for travel, mud on his boots. He was carrying a sword, which wasn't normal within the confines of the keep, looking around him as if he had never been in a place such as this. His eyes darted between the banners hanging from the ceiling to the tapestries from the wall, to the shields over the fireplace. He looked every bit a country man, and she wondered at why he was being brought inside by Rex.

"Mistress Abigail!" Rex exclaimed as he huffed to a stop. "The earl, where is he?"

Abigail picked Mouse up, and stood. The stranger turned and looked at her just as the child began to wail. She adjusted Mouse up onto her shoulder and bounced her.

"Hush now," she murmured. Mouse got louder.

"I think—" she started, but a wail emanated from Mouse that drowned her out.

"Here," The stranger said, and held both hands out. She shrank back, but when Mouse wailed again, and he gestured with his open hands. An instinct to trust him stole over her, and she relented and gave the child to him, following to stand close to him and snatch Mouse back the instant she protested.

He cradled Mouse's head in one hand, her bottom in the other, and gently swung her back and forth, humming a strange tune, looking down into her face calmly so that Mouse stared back, the wailing abruptly stopped the moment he began humming.

His eyes were the most interesting colour of blue, flecked with grey, riveted on the child. They were like a calm sea in the morning, and she stood in awe as he soothed Mouse with ease that spoke of experience. His hands engulfed the child, large and strong, holding her firmly, yet gently. Abigail watched him, conscious that she had just given Mouse to a complete stranger.

Mouse was entranced, and looked up into the man's face seriously, studying the contrast between herself and what must have looked absolutely foreign. When her face broke into a smile, he then pulled her up to his shoulder. Mouse bleated once or twice, her tiny hand combing through his close-cropped beard.

"My thanks, sir," she said softly. Rex and the officer were watching the stranger with odd looks, the officer perhaps slightly amused. The stranger smiled as Mouse made another snuffle, and burrowed into the rough-spun wool of his overcloak.

"Lots of babies in my village," He murmured a slight smile softening his face as Mouse pulled on some hair on his chin. "You get used to being handed a child to hold while their mothers prepare the meals."

"Mistress, The earl," Rex repeated, slightly annoyed. "It is very important we see him at once."

"Of course. He's in his study, as usual, Rex," she replied, and moved to take back a now slightly sleepy Mouse. She could sense the reluctance of the stranger to give the child back, and he smiled down at Mouse as she adjusted her in her arms. Their eyes met and she looked away immediately, the way they stabbed right through her unnerving.

"She's lovely. A blessing for you," he said quietly.

"Oh! She's not mine. She is Lord Berrigan's daughter," she replied, not sure why she felt the need to clarify.

"Ahh. She is lucky to have you then, my Lady," he answered, taking a step back.

"Torston. Stay here, I will bring Lord Berrigan to you. Abigail, can you perhaps offer this man a drink?" Rex snapped, already moving off, the officer following, the amused look on his face expanding to a small chuckle.