Hell Hath No Fury

They say hell hath no fury like a woman scorned, but Penelope could accept that she wasn't angry at Colin. Not really. Sure, he frustrated her, but she still loved him, and that thought just made her sad. So, what better way to put her mind off of it than to step into a new dress? At least it would be for a woman who was actually comfortable in her own body, something that Penelope was not.

"Penelope Mignonette Thermopolis Featherington, get your cute little ass out here and show us the dress I made for you!" Gen yelled from outside the dressing room of her boutique.

Eloise snorted beside her. "Her middle name is Anne."

Gen shrugged. "I know, I just feel like we're in that scene from The Princess Diaries."

The four Bridgerton sisters, along with Sophie, Kate, and Edwina, giggled in response. They had been shopping all morning for Violet's upcoming birthday (never to be mentioned which birthday, of course) and made a last stop to Gen's boutique for final dress fittings. The ladies then heard a series of grumbles and frustrated grunts from behind the curtain.

"Are you alright, Penelope?" Daphne asked gently. Suddenly, they heard Penelope let out a tiny sniffle, and she rushed in to see what was wrong. She found Penelope curled up in a ball in the corner, crying into her knees. Daphne nodded for the other ladies to give them a moment. Eloise was reluctant but knew her sister was better at these sorts of things. "Oh, honey, what happened?" She asked. Penelope only cried harder when Daphne wrapped her arms around her.

"Just...look at me..." She sobbed.

"You look beautiful, Penelope. Absolutely beautiful," Daphne whispered.

"There's no need to lie to me, Daph. I know what I am."

"Beautiful!"

"Gorgeous!"

"Hot!"

"A fucking smokeshow!"

All of the ladies yelled from the other side, and Penelope laughed at their overwhelming support.

"See?" Daphne said, wiping the tears away. "Stop letting those voices get to you. Everyone has them. You just have to choose not to listen. You are a beautiful young woman, Penelope. I so wish you could see it too." Penelope nodded, leaning into her friend's hug. Daphne seemed to get an idea and told her to stand and look in the mirror. "Look at yourself," she ordered.

"Daph..."

"Do it, Penelope," Daphne demanded in her 'mum' tone that beared no argument. Penelope rolled her eyes and did as she said. She stared at her reflection, analyzing ever roll and out of place curve along her body. She shifted uncomfortably on her feet. wanting to look away. "What do you see?" Daphne asked.

Penelope let out a sigh. "I see a stunning, incredibly talented, smart young woman," she said, and Daphne gave a pleased smile. "And then I see me," she added sadly, wrapping her arms around herself.

Daphne glared at her. "Well, I see a sexy, hilarious, intelligent, kind, gorgeous, smoking hot redhead who could get any man or woman she wanted." Penelope looked up at her reflection, considering Daphne's words carefully. "Beauty lies in confidence, honey. Just own who you are, and others will start to see it too." Penelope gave a small nod and smiled as Daphne gave her a kiss on the cheek. "Now put on that dress Gen made for you, and show all of us how amazing you look." Penelope grinned in response and Daphne walked out of the dressing room, both women looking very pleased with themselves.