8.

-

Kinney was walking home after school alone since Sidney always got a ride from Tatum after school. She was listening to Queen on her Walkman when someone grabbed her arm from behind.

Kinney let out a small scream of fright, punching whoever grabbed her with her elbow. She quickly turned, and her eyes widened as she gasped.

"Oh my god! Billy, I'm so sorry! Are you okay!?" She questioned, taking her headphones off, and Billy groaned.

"I think you broke my nose, kin." There was blood coming out of his nose.

"Let me see." Kinney said, and Billy removed his hand from his nose, and Kinney was closer to him now, her face inches away from his.

She sighed in relief, taking a step back. "It's not broken, but it'll probably bruise." She said before smacking his arm.

"Ow!" Billy winced, rubbing his shoulder. Kinney glared at him, "Why would you do that? You do not sneak up on a girl, loomis."

Billy chuckled dryly, gesturing to his bloody nose, "Yeah, I learned my lesson, kin."

Kinney's eyes softened, and she pulled out a handkerchief from her bag, "Why do you have that?" Billy questioned but took when she passed it to him.

"I get nosebleeds half the time, loomis." She told him, and Billy winced as he held the handkerchief on his bleeding nose.

"Are you sure it's not broken? It hurts, like a lot." He complained, and Kinney held back a giggle because of the way he sounded.

"I'm sure, Billy. So, is there a reason why I elbowed you in the face?" Kinney questioned, and Billy nodded.

"Yeah, I was wondering if you would like to go to the mall with me and stu?" Billy asked, and Kinney shook her head.

"No. I, um..I don't like the mall." She told him, crossing her arms around her stomach.

"Why? I thought every teenage girl likes the mall?" Billy questioned, and Kinney let out a small chuckle ,"Well, not me."

"Well, since you elbowed me in the face and possibly broke my nose, you have to come to the mall with me and stu." Billy told her

"Your nose isn't broken, Billy, and I don't have to go with you to the mall." Kinney replied. Her tone was sharp, but there was a hint of panic on her voice.

Billy noticed. Of course, he noticed, he noticed everything about Kinney.

"What's wrong?" He questioned, pulling the handkerchief away and wiping the remaining blood away.

"Nothing's wrong, i just don't want to go to the mall, okay? You can't force me either." She told him, anxiously digging her nails into her palms of her hand.

"Hey, I'm sorry, I won't force you to go, okay? But stu and I want you to hang out with us, we can go somewhere else." Billy told her, his voice gentle and reassuring that he even surprised himself that he could use such tone.

"I can hang out with you guys but not at the mall." Kinney quietly said, her voice seemed small, and Billy nodded, feeling bad for making Kinney feel the way she was feeling.

"Okay."

- -

Billy watched as Stu and Kinney battled to see who could eat the most hot, spicy chicken wings. Billy has his money on Kinney.

Kinney seemed happier now, less anxious than before.

Billy wondered what made her hate the mall so much that she would panic about it.

Billy thought about it. Kinney used to go to the mall since she was a kid. They used to go the acarcde and get slushies together.

But that stopped two years ago. Kinney hasn't been to the mall in two years.

"It was like two years ago! It doesn't matter, so shut up about it." Kinney's voice echoed in his mind.

Two years ago, Kinney lost her virginity. Two years ago, Kinney stopped going to the mall.

Billy looked at Kinney. Was she assaulted at the mall? If she was, why didn't she tell him?

Why keep it a secret?

" - how can you eat so much spicy!" Stu complained, and Kinney grinned. "I love spicy food, I eat it so much it doesn't even fraze me anymore."

"I feel like I'm in hell!"

- -

Later that night, the boys walked Kinney home. On the front porch, Kinney turned around to face them.

"Thanks for walking me home." She told with a small smile. "Anytime, kin!" Stu replied, and Kinney chuckled.

"Kinney, can I ask you something?" Billy suddenly questioned, and Kinney hummed in response.

"Were...you sexually assaulted at the mall two years ago?" Billy asked, and he saw the way Kinney's body tensed. She wrapped her arms around herself.

"I don't know what you are talking about." Kinney quietly said, and Stu looked at Billy before looking at Kinney, putting two and two together. 

"Kin?" Kinney shook her head, turning around to open the front door.

"It's..it's nothing, okay? You guys should go home." Kinney said, her hands shaking, and she was having a difficult time opening the door.

Noticing that Kinney was on the verge of a panic attack, Stu did what he always did whenever Kinney had a panic attack.

He closed the distance between them and wrapped his arms around her.

"It's okay, kin. Just breathe." Stu whispered to her, and Kinney took a shaky breath.

"It was my fault."

----------------------

Word count - 900