Chapter 3

"Happy birthdayy!" Cal said excitedly. They carried me out of bed and sat me at the kitchen island. In front of me was a bowl of homemade apples-and-cinnamon oatmeal. My favorite.

"So, what's the occasion?" i ask. "Your birthday?" they laughed. "Don't tell me you forgot!" I shook my head. "I did. I can't believe myself," i add, finishing up my oatmeal. I look them up and down.

"You're not hungry?" i ask with genuine concern. "Oh, don't worry about me," Cal scoffed. "I had an egg sandwich right before i went to go wake you up." I nod, putting my bowl into the sink.

"Want to go to Central Park?" they offer. "I thought we could hang at the zoo." I nod again. "Sounds like fun," i agree. "I'll go get ready."

I go to my room, and Cal heads down to the lobby. Probably to talk to their boyfriend. Cal and Michael were a good pairing, and i thought of Tom. He's such a dork.

My head snaps out of the thoughts of my boyfriend, and i check my phone. April 19th.

My birthday.

"How?" i whispered, my voice trembling. "It's August sixteenth. Jack turns twenty-two today. I don't turn twenty-three until next year."

I look out the window, and the mid-spring trees show outside on the sidewalks.

"It's really April," i said. "Holy shit." I get dressed, make my bed, and go down to the lobby meet Cal and Michael.

"Morning, Shawn!" Laura, the receptionist, greeted me. "Morning," i replied hesitantly. "Awfully springy for August, isn't it?" she said. "Yeah, definitely," i agreed.

I step outside onto the corner, where Laura's twin brother Laurance stood. He tipped his hat in a doorman-y way, as he normally did. "Lovely day, no?" he said. "Quite cold for August." I nod. "Yep," i agree.

I cross the street to the coffee shop, and Michael greets me with a wave. "Hey, bro," he says, handing me a peppermint hot chocolate. "Thanks," i said. "How've you been?"

If it really was April, then i knew it'd be like i hadn't seen him since February, which was when Cal's birthday was.

"I've been great, thanks," Michael said. "How's it feel being twenty-three?" I smiled. "It feels great!" i told him. I sip my hot chocolate. "Oh, i'm glad you got me this," i sighed. "I've been wanting one for a while."

Cal smiles. "No problem," they tell me. "We'll get lunch at La Vic's later. Let's go to Central Park. I figured we could go around the park before hanging out at the zoo."

"Not too bad," i said. I checked my phone, and Tom had texted me, saying to meet at Central Park. I texted him back, and looked up at Cal and Michael.

"Tom wants to meet at Central Park," i told them. "You guys are still together?" Michael asks, impressed. "Yep," i told him. "Eleven years and going strong."

We head to Central Park, and i'm waiting under a tree when Tom finally shows up in winter gear. He gives me a kiss and glances at Cal and Michael.

"What is it for you?" he asks me. "My birthday," i told him. "It's-- It's....my birthday, too," he said softly. I hoisted myself up on the concretet "wall" in front of the tree, and Tom looked up at me.

"Do you think we're in different times?" he asks me. "Maybe," i said. "It's weird," he says. "I fell asleep in August and woke up in December. Now i'm stuck wearing snow gear."

I chuckled a bit. "You look fine," i told him. I grabbed his hand and smiled. "You look great. I don't mind it."

"Imagine it were still August," he said. "It would be so weird, wearing all these fucking layers then." He laughed.

That's when it hit me.

Laura and Laurance both said it was August.