• Unexpected Wedding •

•________________•

Eyes are the books, full of stories that they don't read aloud”

_Shoeb_

•________________•

The weather was hot and humid, the air dry and almost scalding as it swept past one's skin, the sun shone down brightly with an intensity that made one sweat profusely while standing under it for barely few seconds.

The ends of wheat almost appeared pale brown as if they too couldn't endure the wrath of the blazing sun and could only surrender silently, helplessly.

Farmers worked in the fields with sweat dripping down their foreheads and scarves wrapped around their heads in the form of loose turbans to protect themselves from heat as they tirelessly worked in the fields and drove the tractors.

In amidst all this, his tall and lean frame walked inside the huge gates of haveli with the back of his white kurta soaked in sweat and dark strands sticking to his forehead.

The cuffs of sleeves loosely folded a bit behind his wrists with the bandage absent on his hand at the moment, yet when he unfolded or uncurled his palm, the sunlight illuminated the ghastly almost-healed wound adorning the pale skin like a thin crescent.

A deep exhale evaded his lips as he caught sight of a mulazim rushing towards him with a small towel and a glass filled with lemonade.

His stable strides came to a soft pause as he stood under the shade of tree raking his gaze across the guards standing on duty before turning it towards the gardener that was trimming the plants in the huge front lawn.
The brows of his slightly, almost unnoticeably furrowed at the sight as he turned towards the mulazim who had reached his side by now,

"Ye maali dopehr k iss waqt dhoop main kaam kiyun ker raha hai"?
His voice low but serious, almost authoritative.

The mulazim analyzed his chotay sahab's serious expressions before turning his neck to gaze at the gardener working in such blazing afternoon as he replied softly,
"He was ordered by Azfar Sahab to complete trimming and maintaining the lawn till evening. I guess his friends from other village will be arriving at night".

The thick dark brows of his furrowed more as he exhaled softly, folding his hands on his back and raising his chin slightly,
"What has his friends coming to haveli to do with the gardener maintaining the lawn? They aren't here to observe the garden or beauty of flowers in this scorching weather, are they"?

"Ofcourse not".
The mulazim paused, glancing at his sahab's side profile for a second before continuing,
"Do you want me to ask him to go back to his quarters, Shahmeer Sahab"?

His Sahab wasn't the one to be angry and bash at his mulazims or take out his fury and frustration on them.
He was oh so polite, respectful and considerate towards house workers but could also turn serious and unforgiving when things got out of control and trespassed the boundaries.
Just like now.
Shahmeer didn't like it at all, seeing the gardener sweating profusely under the scorching sun when even the guards were doing duty while sitting and standing under the wooden shades or canopies of trees.
Everyone was human and possessed a limit to his endurance, than why being so unnecessarily cruel and heartless to them?
They work for you because the get paid, not because they are your slaves or something.
Why treat them this way?