Chapter 43

A/N: Hi everyone! I'm back and am finally in the process of updating all my current works. I really missed writing and talking to some of you guys <3

I know this may be redundant to some, but please understand that postgrad life is hectic and free time just doesn't come by as easy as before :'( I'd actually appreciate more feedback from y'all so that I'd know what you think of my works + it would motivate me to keep writing tbh :>

Thanks again for reading and being so patient. Enjoy!

Hades's visit to Auradon was kept on the low. Only Ben, his parents, a select few from the royal guards, and the VKs were aware of it. Meredith was one of the exception, of course. Not only was she a firsthand witness to what went down the night before, but also because of her friendship with Jane and Ben. What she heard from them was that Fairy Godmother was called to join the process since they needed another person with magic to be present in the event that they would have to combat Hades. Everybody had hoped it wouldn't be necessary, though.

After everything had started to settle down and Hades was sent back to the Isle of the Lost, Ben invited Meredith into his office and divulged the important details to her.

"It was fascinating, actually," Ben admitted, leaning back into his seat as he recounted what happened. "The way Hades used the ember, I mean. We all still had our reservations, though. A part of me even anticipated some attack or act of rebellion from him, but a larger part of me knew he'd keep his word. And he did, just like Mal promised. Audrey woke up perfectly fine."

"Did she remember what happened? What she did?" Meredith asked carefully.

"She did... but she said she wished it was all a bad dream. I can't help but feel bad for her even if she hurt us — all of us."

"It's understandable, Ben. You still care for her, and even if she isn't my favorite person —"

"Obviously," Ben cut in with a hint of humor. "In hindsight, you were very clear with how much you disliked her when she and I were together."

Meredith simply shrugged before continuing.

"As I was saying... this might surprise you, but I feel the same way."

"You do?"

"After everything we've all been through, especially after the VKs arrived, I think it's safe to say that dark magic combined with insecurities and desires don't mix well. Audrey must've felt really strongly to give in to that temptation. She probably needed someone to be there for her, but all she could do was bottle everything up until she couldn't take it anymore."

"Hm," Ben hummed thoughtfully, taken aback by Meredith's insights. "So, you don't blame her for all the mess she caused?"

"I'd say I partially do," Meredith answered. "She should still be held accountable, of course, but she's still human. She made a mistake."

"I agree. It's in the past now... we need to focus on moving forward and doing better."

"Precisely."

"Hey, when did you get so wise?" Ben half-joked. "Maybe I should hire you as part of my council."

"No thanks," Meredith waved him off immediately. "I'm so not taking a politics-related course in college."

It wasn't long after their conversation that Ben had to get back to his royal duties. Meanwhile, Meredith made her way to Evie's cottage to hit two birds with one stone: to discuss the details of her next dress by the one and only Evie, and to meet up with Carlos who had called her earlier that day to ask if they could talk.