Chapter 23

A/N: Friendly reminder to check if your acc has been pwned (compromised)!!! Wattpad released a statement that their site was h*cked a month ago (I can't believe they didn't tell us sooner???) and a lot of users' information may have been leaked :(( There's a thread on Twitter on how to check + security measures to keep your email and Wattpad acc safe from now on, so feel free to comment or message me if you need it. Stay safe y'all!

Meredith escaped the afternoon sun that day for just a few minutes by returning to the dorm. She and Jane had cheerleading practice in a while, but they agreed to meet up to discuss a few more details about the Royal Cotillion together. She felt guilty for just recently feeling uncomfortable around Jane because had always been nothing but nice to her. The fact that Carlos was most probably going to ask her to the cotillion made her feel all weird on the inside, especially after talking to Ben about how she was starting to see Carlos differently, and she just couldn't help it.

"I don't understand how you've dealt with all these projects before," Jane admitted as they walked down the hall.

"Well, you know I can't say no to a challenge," Meredith shrugged. "I haven't planned any event as big as this cotillion, though, so you're really in for it this time."

The two girls passed by Evie and Mal's room. Like it usually was nowadays, the door was left ajar to accommodate Evie's customers. Jay was leaning by the frame, dressed in a R.O.A.R. sports attire and his duffle bag slung over his left shoulder.

"Chad, let's go," he was saying before he spotted Meredith and Jane walking his way.

"Hi, ladies," he smiled at them.

"Hi, Jay," they greeted him back.

"You have training?" Jane asked him conversationally.

"Yeah, just picking up Chad," he replied in amusement. Sure enough, Chad was inside the room, having his floor-length cape fitted and altered by Evie while Doug typed away on a laptop nearby as he helped his girlfriend with the finances of her business. "You?"

 "You?"

"Same. We were just doing some more work on the way," said Meredith, waving her tablet for emphasis.

Jay wanted to ask Meredith about what Carlos had told him — their little fight about their cotillion dates — but Jane was there and Chad was walking out of Evie's room with a small sniffle as he had just been talking about Audrey, so he couldn't risk mentioning that around them.

"Why don't you girls watch us for a bit?" Jay suddenly suggested. "We're having a practice match today."

Meredith didn't want to see Carlos again. She already saw him that morning, so was still feeling irritated, confused, and a jumble of other emotions towards him.

"Oh, but we have training —"

"That's a great idea!" Jane cut her off brightly. "It sounds fun. We can take a quick break from all this planning stuff."