Chapter 24

Carlos had no idea how he went from worrying about making amends with Meredith and hopefully asking her to the cotillion, to suddenly being back on the Isle of the Lost.

How exactly did he wind up there, anyway? Unfortunately, the stress of being the Lady of the Court got to Mal, and she ended up running back to the Isle with only a short note to her friends explaining her reason for it. Evie, Jay, Carlos, and Ben went after her as soon as they got the chance to, of course. They tried everything to make sure their plan worked: they drove to the Isle late at night and hid the limo they used so that nobody would find them, they taught Ben how to act more like a villain, and they let Ben be the one to go up to Mal and try to reason with her.

However, things didn't go as planned. Mal insisted that she couldn't go back to Auradon and fought with Ben about it, and now, there was a new problem. The young king had disappeared from sight just a minute after he had gone back down to Evie, Jay, and Carlos. He was literally by their side one second and gone in the next.

"Guys," Carlos said urgently, being the first one to notice. "Where's Ben?"

Evie and Jay joined Carlos in looking around the dimly-lit alleyway. Only a few seconds had passed when a tall, male figure came walking their way.

"Ben? Ben!" Evie said. The person started walking into the light, and she let out a sigh of relief, thinking it was who she was looking for. "Ben, don't scare us like that!"

Instead, Harry Hook had walked up to them.

"Don't scare you?" he questioned with a smirk. "That's my specialty."

"What did you do with Ben?" Jay demanded.

"Oh, ah, we nicked him! Mhmm, yeah, if you want to see him again, have Mal come to the Chip Shoppe tonight — alone. Uma wants a little visit."

All the three of them could do was glare at Harry. He wasn't phased in the slightest and instead pouted playfully.

"Aw, Jay. Seems like you've lost your touch," he said. Everyone knew that Jay used to be the most skilled person on the Isle when it came to stealing and thieving around, and now, he had become a victim of the very same things he was once good at doing, not realizing that Ben had been taken from him in plain sight.

Harry's comment riled Jay up just as he wanted. He made a move to attack Harry, but Evie instantly grabbed his shoulder.

"Jay!" she warned. Harry laughed at them condescendingly, enjoying their predicament. He strutted away without any care in the world, whistling some tune he heard recently as he did.

Evie, Jay, and Carlos looked at one another once he was gone. They knew they had no choice but to tell Mal what happened, and they needed her help. Jay began climbing up the fence to open it from the other side, and once he did, the three of them dashed up the stairs to reach Mal.

Needless to say, they got scolded by the purple-haired girl the moment they finished telling her what happened to Ben.