Chapter 21

The semester was flying by quickly, and then there were only two weeks left until the Royal Cotillion. The Auradon Prep students were being bombarded with a mixture of academic requirements and extracurricular activities. Meredith was one of those many students who were busy doing all of them, having to keep her grades up while simultaneously attending her frequent cheerleading practices (and helping Lonnie train so that she could get into the Swords and Shields Team) and planning the Royal Cotillion.

So, it wasn't a surprise that Meredith found herself in Carlos's room again, doing some last minute studying with him for their Mathematics exam the following day since it felt like she hadn't learned the coverage enough. While Meredith was already a bright student, Carlos seemed to be particularly good in math, so she needed his help for that subject.

"There are too many x's and y's," Meredith groaned, face planting on Carlos's bed. "Why can't we just get to the answer already?"

"That's literally what we're supposed to look for, though," Carlos pointed out in amusement.

Before Meredith could retort, the door abruptly swung open and Jay came running in, closing the door behind him as quickly and quietly as possible. He let out a breath he didn't realize he was holding and turned around to tell Carlos what happened, but he was taken aback to see that Meredith was still there.

"You guys do know it's past curfew already, right?" was the first thing Jay said.

"What?" said Meredith, switching open her phone to check the time. "Oh, shoot. It is."

"I didn't realize," Carlos said apologetically, helping her pack up her things.

"I should get going. Are the supervisors roaming right now?"

While Auaradon Prep was more or less a lenient school and there weren't many strict rules to follow in the dormitories, some staff members were still assigned with roaming the halls past curfew to make sure students weren't sneaking out or up to no good. It wasn't that hard to get past them in all honesty, but that didn't mean they shouldn't be careful, either.

"Unfortunately, they are," said Jay, walking over to his bed and plopping down on it. "That's why I came running in here. I lost track of time at the gym and almost got caught downstairs. You better hurry before they get to the second floor and catch you."

"I can walk you back to your room," Carlos offered.

"You might get caught, too, though," Meredith pointed out.

"I'm a master of stealth, remember?"

She rolled her eyes at Carlos's words but didn't argue.

"Come on," he said. "Let's go before it gets too late."

And so, both Carlos and Meredith tiptoed out of the the room and into the dark hallway. Carlos gestured for her to follow after him down the corridor, always keeping a hand behind him to signal her when to stop or keep going.

 Carlos gestured for her to follow after him down the corridor, always keeping a hand behind him to signal her when to stop or keep going