Chapter 16: Rave

Deb sat in the corner of the room hidden in the depths of St. Jerome's Parish, The small room was packed with exorcists. Jessica, with a sense of authority and purpose that commanded respect, was in the process of handing out blessed weapons as they prepared to strike down their target.

"Nathan Boon is our target tonight," she said, pausing for a moment to let the information sink in. "Sources tell us he will attending a rave in an old warehouse in the industrial park tonight. Our goal is to strike while he is in human form, as a Familiar his skin is almost impossible to penetrate and his healing factor is too great for any meaningful damage."

Pablo, his face partially hidden by the shadowy depths of the room, popped open a small bottle and took more herbal supplements. A subtle smirk danced on his lips as he listened to Jessica's words.

"Deb will be the key to our plan's success," Jessica continued, her voice softening for a moment, "She'll lure him away from the rest of the people before we strike. We want to reduce the chance of collateral damage as much as possible." Faces turned to look at Deb, but her gaze was glued to the floor, she knew she had betrayed her friends by turning Boon over to the exorcists.

Deb just nodded solemnly, understanding the importance of her role. She rose from her seat and left the basement, her stomach tying itself in knots as she went. Pablo watched her exit with an intrigued smile, he was sure she had finally chosen her side in all of this. The other exorcists followed Deb up the stairs, ready to take a life that night.

-----

Zack could feel the pulsating beat of the music reverberating through his chest as he entered the rave, the strobe lights nearly blinding him as he scanned the crowd for the others. He spotted Deb, Leona, and Sarah dancing together. For a moment Deb made eye contact with him, before averting her gaze quickly. Why did Deb look so uncomfortable? He worried as he made his way through the crowd to her.

"Deb!" Zack said as he pulled her away from the group, trying to make sure they couldn't hear him. She stopped dancing and turned toward him, a sheepish smile on her face.

"Hey, Zack," she said, the moment their eyes met she blurted out. "They know, Jessica and the exorcists know Boon is the Familiar." tears streamed down her face, "I'm so sorry, they guilted me out of it, I felt so lost and they took advantage of it. They are here tonight, they are going to try to kill him."

"Damn it, Deb!" Zack snapped, frustration simmering within him. "Do you know what you've done! This changes everything. Just... stay out of the way, alright?"

Deb's expression shifted from sheepish to hurt, but she nodded in agreement. "I'm so sorry, really I am. Please if there is anything I can do..."

"You can try to make sure your choice doesn't get anyone killed." Zack retorted, so upset by her betrayal that he was shaking. Fearing he would say something to her he would regret, he pushed his way through the crowd away from her. Now they had Sloth, Boon, and the exorcists to worry about. There were too many variables at play, and he feared that the plan wouldn't work.

Zack found John and pulled him aside, John noticed the worry on Zack's face immediately. He held out a syringe filled with anesthesia, his voice low and urgent.

"Listen, John, I need you to take this and try to get Boon."

"But I thought you.." John started.

"The exorcists are here, I am going to do everything I can to keep them busy. That means it is up to you and Olivia to deal with Boon. Be careful, alright?"

John took the syringe, feeling the pressure from the change of plans. "Ok, I'll do it, and don't worry I won't hurt Boon"

"Boon is not who I am worried about," Zack replied firmly, his eyes intense. "You need to be careful, Boon is undead and will survive almost anything, you won't so don't do anything that will get you killed." John nodded realizing Zack was genuinely concerned about his well-being.