4. Mate things

Alarion and Klyden were sat in the cockpit of Alarion's flight. It was a four-person flight, and was large enough to carry some luggage. He's always wanted a fighter jet but his fathers decided that he didn't need one.

And he didn't.

So he had enrolled in an aviation academy without telling his parents.

"You're actually pretty good at this," Klyden raised his brows, impressed.

Alarion smirked.

He dipped the plane making it drop to a level making Klyden shout in alarm.

"What the fuck dude?" Klyden yelled, wide-eyed.

"Relax, you're in good hands."

Klyden shook his head at Alarion and huffed. "Don't do that, I almost shit my pants."

Alarion chuckled and looked down at the beautifully illuminated night city. The entire city was glowing, and Alarion sighed blissfully, pretty content with life although he didn't have a mate. He liked to add 'yet' at the back of that sentence.

"What's this about not having a mate bullshit?" Alarion spoke up.

Klyden looked at his brother briefly before facing ahead. "Because not many people even have a mate."

"That's bullshit."

"No it isn't."

"Yes it is. Almost everyone I know have their mate beside them." Alarion scrunched his nose.

"Uncle Tolen doesn't have one. He even went on a trip to find them, and ended up travelling around the world."

"Yes but he is married."

"But not to his 'mate'."

Alarion groaned.

"Why do even want a mate so desperately?" Klyden turned around to face Alarion. "I've told you multiple times that one doesn't not even need a mate."

Alarion breathed out through his nose and he wanted to say. Because it'd be nice to have what my parents have. It'd be nice to look at someone and fall in love with that person every second. I'd have someone to challenge me, question all that I think is right, someone that I can get through the rest of eternity with and someone that does not pity me. Someone that I would die for over and over again. Someone that doesn't see me as the kingdom itself. Someone that does not hold me responsible for my parents' death.

But he didn't dare say any of that.

"I don't want to waste any of my God given good looks." He gestured to himself.

Klyden snorted. "Brother, you need to get laid."

"With someone other than my mate? Blasphemy."

Klyden threw his hands up in the air.

"Maybe your mate is actually out there, somewhere. Probably another vampire, in some other pack, or nest. Maybe there actually is someone who can handle you and your bullshit."

Alarion smirked.

"I know there is."

--

It was the first day after suspension and Avyugh already felt like hanging himself and the reason for it: Louis Siegler had won the photography competition, and the thing about Louis Siegler was that he was an asshole.

A very big jerk.

"So, feeling terrible yet?" Louis asked the minute Avyugh exited his first class. "Ready to admit that I'm better than you? Since you lost and everything."

Avyugh snorted. 

He stuffed his books inside his bag and turned to face Louis in the hallway.

"You won because I didn't participate." Avyugh grinned sarcastically and started walking.

Louis tailed him. "What do you mean? You were only suspended."

Avyugh walked inside the cafeteria, ready to stuff himself. "Duh. Now please leave."

"Wha-"

Louis was rudely interrupted by Parker, one of Louis' friends, who was an Avyugh hater. Surprisingly there were a lot of them in school.

"Why are you talking to this scum here?" Parker asked Louis, lifting his chin up.

"Here are the goons, I was wondering when you were going to show up." Avyugh smiled at the boys, and looking behind Parker, there were the other goons, friends of Louis and Parker.

"You think you're the big shit huh?" Parker shoved Avyugh's shoulder. "You're all talk you fucking idiot. I'll send you packing back to India you phony shit." He pushed Avyugh's tray of food.

"Oh there's the principal." Avyugh grinned at Parker. "Have a nice day Parker."

The principal was walking towards them with a disappointed shake of his head. Avyugh cleared the scene, even though he knew he'll be called in for questioning later by the principal, and sat down on an empty table.

"You really need to stop getting into fights, Avyugh." Brandon took a seat across from him and noticed Avyugh not eating anything. "Are you not having lunch?"

Avyugh shook his head. "Parker made rangoli with that."

His stomach was protesting so he stood up to grab another tray but there was no more food left.

Brandon looked at Avyugh exiting the cafeteria and father after him. "Where are you going?"

"I'm going in to Lava's early today," Avyugh waved at Brandon.

Brandon and Avyugh where working at the same bakery--Lava's. It was one of the few bakeries in town that served homemade brownies which was not available elsewhere and these homemade brownies were made by humans instead of AI bots, unlike many other bakeries.

There was quite a taste to it and Lava's soon had their own fanbase.

Avyugh touched the plain black thread and his neck, and felt his mother's absence more than ever as he drove, so stopped his car and sat on a park bench on the way to the bakery and leaned back, closing his eyes.

He didn't have his mother by his side. He didn't have people around to call 'friends' and all of a sudden he realized that he was all alone.

Then he smiled, remembering Maahi's face.

Maahi liked brownies.

Avyugh got up and was ready to work for the rest of the evening.

That way he could bring some sweets and snacks home for Maahi to enjoy.

Avyugh looked outside the cozy bakery--it was drizzling.

He sighed.

Finally, I can have a calm few days.

He couldn't have been more wrong.

Even sublte drizzles can bring in floods.

--

Hey there vamps, hope you liked this chapter.

I'm genuinely waiting to publish the next one, quite excited!

Vote | Comment | Share