19. All the cards on the table

Avyugh sucked in a breath.

He glanced down at Alarion's attire and noticed that he was wearing a uniform.

Alarion paused, letting his mate take a moment to process his words as he pressed a button on the recliner that dispensed blood into his hip flask.

Avyugh was breathing through his nose heavily trying not to hyperventilate and he drink another glass of water by pressing the button on the recliner he wad sitting in. His hands were shaking and he was almost about to drop the glass in his hands but he got a hold of himself and looked at Alarion with a blank look on his face.

Alarian spoke his next words cautiously.

"Do you need me to prove it to you?"

Avyugh was thinking whether he should take a Alarion on up on his offer to forget about everything that had happened.

He glased at the hip flask that the vampire was holding and asked: "what is it that you keep drinking?"

Alarian raised a brow. "Are you sure that you want to know?"

Avyugh gasped, leaning forward.

"Don't tell m-"

"It's blood."

Avyugh gulped, making Alarion chuckle. "Relax, I don't want your blood."

The vampire secretly seemed to be enjoying this.

"What else?" Avyugh asked, shaking his head as if to concentrate.

"Witches, banshees, werewolves--everything you thought was a hoax is true. Well except angels and demons, because come on, angels are too good to be true."

"Why are they after my family?" Avyugh asked, not letting himself process this newfound information.

"Well, because you're related to me." Alarion spoke in riddles.

Avyugh snorted. "I'm in no way related to you."

Alarion stalled, needing some time to explain the concept of 'mates' to his very human mate who would probably end up rejecting him without even knowing it.

"Well, that's bold of you to assume." Alarion dispensed another glass of blood.

He's going to need all the blood he can get if he was going to give his mate a lesson on supernaturals and the whole concept of 'mates'. This time, he didn't drink it out of his hipflask. He didn't want to hide the fact that he was drinking blood from his mate now that that was on the table.

Avyugh tilted his head with a frown. "What do you mean?"

Alarion took a breath before he spoke, sitting straight.

Avyugh raked his eyes over Alarion in his uniform and then shook his head.

"Some supernaturals have a soulmate. A soulmate is someone who is bound to you for life--some supernaturals die without ever meeting their mate, and some don't even have one. And you're that for me--you're my soulmate."

The entire safe house was silent except for Maahi's soft breathing--the kid was asleep.

Alarion calmly sipped his glass of blood--prepared to meet his mate's harsh glare, harsh words, perplexed look; just about anything. But Alarion didn't receive any of that. Instead, he just received an Avyugh that had a blank look on his face.

Alarion raised a brow at his mate's calm state of mind.

"Okay, and?" Avyugh nodded. "Tell me more."

Alarion squinted his eyes. "Did you listen to anything I just said?"