30. Brothers

Alarion caught Harshye staring at him.

Alarion and his family were leaving Vairak.

"Are all the rituals done? Do I need to come here often 'cause I'd rather not," Alarion asked the chief of Vairak who just shook his head with raised brows.

"I have to admit, we have not all been kind to yo-"

"That's an understatement," Alarion scoffed with a smile.

"For that I apologise." The chief of Vairak smiled. "But you are a part of Vairak now, Alarion. You are your father's son. I see him in you."

Alarion smiled bashfully at that.

"I don't know him," Alarion sighed, glancing down. "But I know he was a great man. His brother too."

"Yes." The chief nodded. "Yes they were. I hope you and Harshye can live up to their name."

The vampire nodded with a smile.

The rain was pouring down hard, but Viridian deployed a number of witches around Vairak to help take preventive measures. Kenji offered to help, but Alarion silenced him with a look.

The chief of Vairak left with a smile and Alarion was left standing alone as he watched his mate and friends in the distance.

Kenji caught his eye and nodded.

Alarion was about to call him over, but he was interrupted by someone clearing their throat beside him.

Harshye was looking at him with impassive eyes.

Alarion shoved his hands inside his pocket and stared right back at his biological cousin.

They stood there for a while until Alarion decided to speak first.

"I'm sorry about your father."

Harshye's eyes narrowed on the vampire.

Their conversation, although unheard, attracted the attention of the people around them.

This would be the first time they'd be exchanging words.

Harshye still hadn't uttered a word.

"I hope you have something to say, if not I'll be on my way," the vampire turned around to walk away.

That's when Harshye decided to speak up.

"I hope you're worth it."

Alarion turned around. Harshye repeated himself with a steely gaze. His voice was deep--similar to Alarion's, but had a slight accent to it.

"I hope you're worth it. My father's life. Your father's and mother's life. I hope you're worth it."

Alarion clenched his jaw.

"Again, I'm sorry about what happ-"

"You know I don't really like you?" Harshye shook his head.

Alarion listened.

"I don't like you. Nobody here does. And you still walk in here like you're deaf. That requires some real guts." Harshye looked at Alarion up and down. "You're also annoying to look at."

"Then fucking close your eyes or would you like me to blind them for you?" Alarion muttered.

Harshye shook his head and turned around with a smirk, walking back and yelled over his shoulder.

"See you in training."

--

Alarion was beyond exhausted.