VIII

New Orleans, Louisiana12 days after incident

12 days after incident

"I didn't think you would come."

Winnie sat across from Damien, her leg shaking under the table to show her nervousness while her face showed nothing. All night she's been debating if she should come meet up with Damien. She was not a coffee person. It didn't taste good to her at all no matter how much sugar and cream a person can put in it. The coffee breath also did it for her. A few of her coworkers had coffee breath and she stopped herself from gagging whenever they spoke to her.

Nonetheless, with her dislike for coffee, she came out anyway. She didn't have a good reason why she did either. It almost felt like an obligation on her end. Something she had to do. An opportunity to set things straight for Damien.

"Oh, I wasn't going to," Winnie truthfully said. Damien's smile dropping almost instantly. There was an awkward cloud between them. Damien waited to see if Winnie would claim her response as a joke. There was nothing.

"Wow." Damien blew out a breath. He nervously chuckled since he had nothing to say at the moment.

Damien was a typical overly confident man of this day and age. He thought because of his looks that he was the shit. Winnie desperately wanted to know what mirror Damien was looking at. She didn't voice her opinion because she didn't want to be rude. But her expressions and mannerisms showed that she was not into him at all. Not only because she was married but Damien was not her type.

Light-skin. Square shaped face. Big ears. A mustache that was barely there. A demeanor that gave off he was the shit. A swag that in Winnie's opinion should stop once you reach a certain age. His style was much similar to a teenager who finally has their own money to spend. He was a flexer as well. A simple coffee shop meet up and he was wearing a full Nike set, the brand logo large on the chest area so everyone could see it. Freshly cleaned Air Force 1s, multiple silver chains around his neck, and a Rolex. Winnie was not impressed.

There was a reason she married Ke'Ann and no one else.

Damien cleared his throat, grabbing his cup and sipping his coffee. Winnie reached for her water and sipped it too while scanning the shop. It was the same how it always been. Crowded. Toasty. A hangout area for business people and college students because of the free WiFi. There was one section in the back of the shop Winnie noticed soon as she came in. A group of four males sitting together, their table filled with plates, and them talking loudly. It was clear who they were.

Winnie didn't think they noticed her and she was alright with that. It seemed as though things were going back to normal. Winnie not being in the spotlight anymore or being talked about. That was nice.

"So, Winnie," Damien spoke. She turned her head, forgetting that she here with him. She placed her cup back on the table then leaned back.

"Mr. Washington," she said back. She noticed the mood change whenever she addressed him as such. She did that to all the parents and even to people she didn't know. It was a respect thing.