XXIV

New Orleans, Louisiana44 days after incident

44 days after incident

Leon jumped out the car, an excited shriek came from him seconds later which had Winnie looking at him. She shook her head and went back to the car, pulling out the gifts. It was her nephew, Frankie, birthday party and though her and Aaliyah weren't on good terms, she wasn't going to miss her nephew party. She was only stopping by anyway to avoid any conflict that might spark with her presence. A simple hello and gift exchange was all she was in the mood for. Leon, on the other hand, was in the mood for everything he could get his hands on.

"Mommy, can I hold the gift?" Leon eagerly asked while holding his hands out.

"Hold on," Winnie replied. She reached for the big gift that rested on the car floor. She handed it to Leon and noticed the grin that rested on his face. He knew they weren't his toys but he was excited since he had picked them out himself and wanted Frankie to see how good he did.

Winnie finished in the car then shut the door behind her. "All good?" She asked Leon. He nodded vigorously then lead the way to the backyard.

Winnie was all smiles as she watched him. It's been five days since the court verdict and she seen a drastic change first hand that she didn't expect. It was as if the second she accept this revival, Ke'Ann straightened himself up. Football was officially done for his team and he had taken over at home. Winnie would see him cleaning up around the house, doing laundry, cooking meals, and assisting with Leon. All she had to do was sit back and relax, initially something she should've been doing, and it was refreshing.

Even the small things were being taken care of too like her clothes being laid out after a shower or her feet being rubbed. This was the treatment she rightfully deserved and greatly appreciated entering her second trimester. This was the time she should be taking things slow and Ke'Ann made it easier on her by a thousand.

They entered through the gate to the backyard, Winnie eyes widening from the sight and Leon smile filled with joy. There was a large bouncy house, face-painting, arts and crafts, a DJ, and several other activities for the children. It was overstimulating for Winnie but this was expected at a children birthday party.

"Frankie!" Leon yelled loudly, making Winnie turn her focus.

Running towards them was the cutest brown-skinned boy wearing a birthday crown on top of his dreads. Frankie headed right to Leon and the cousins shared a loving hug with each other. Though a couple years apart, they were insanely close. Frankie was the older brother for Leon, protective of the four year old and always assured he was safe. Winnie adored their relationship, which is why she promised her and Aaliyah issues never conflict with Frankie and Leon.