XIV.

New Orleans, Louisiana25 days after incident

25 days after incident

"And open wide for me sweetheart." The nurse instructed. Ke'Ann rubbed Leon's arm to keep him calm as the nurse swabbed his inner cheek. He could sense how uncomfortable Leon was by the worry presented in his eyes.

Once the nurse was done, Leon looked up at Ke'Ann, confused. "It's okay." Ke'Ann assured him. He couldn't explain the reasoning since Leon wasn't going to understand either way.

"The test results will be available in 7 to 10 business days. Would you like an email containing the results?" The nurse questioned while she started cleaning up.

"Mail seems better." Ke'Ann suggested instead. The nurse nodding while checking off a box on the paper.

"Alright, you two are free to go. Have a good day." The nurses sweetly said.

"You too." Ke'Ann said then wrapped his arms around Leon as he stood to his feet. He fixed him in his arms before exiting the room and made his way down the hall.

"You hungry?" He asked, pulling down Leon's coat since it was puffing up.

"I want McDonald's!" Leon shouted loudly. Ke'Ann nodded, fixing his jacket once more. As he continued making his way to the lobby, he saw Winnie exiting one of the other rooms with her head lowered.

She tried to zip up her jacket but struggled. Angrily, she stopped and left her it open. She didn't have the energy to deal with it. Meeting halfway, Winnie lifted her head and came face to face with Ke'Ann. All he could read was the annoyance in her face. Bags were starting to form under her eyes from exhaustion. He was unsure if she was getting any sleep since he was in his man cave again. He wasn't doing his job and he was going to change that.

"Are you okay?" He questioned, looking deep in her eyes to see the truth.

Winnie shrugged, showing no emotion. "I guess. I don't want to be here anymore." She replied monotonously.

"Aight. Leon wants McDonalds. You in?"

Winnie shrugged again. "I guess." She responded still in that uninterested tone. Ke'Ann decided to leave it alone for now.

"Aight, come on." Ke'Ann placed his hand on her lower back and pushed her forward. He walked behind her as they exited and headed to the truck. He opened the passenger door for her then proceeded to put Leon in.

"Are we getting McDonald's?" Leon asked wanting to be sure that he was getting it.

"Yes, we're getting McDonalds." Ke'Ann reassured him. Leon smirking hard while clapping his hands excitedly.

After getting him settled, Ke'Ann shut the door then got on the truck himself. He glanced over to look at Winnie seeing she was leaning against the window facing away from him. He thought about placing his hand on her thigh how he usually did whenever he drove. He stopped himself to avoid any awkwardness. Starting the truck, he pulled out of the parking spot and was on his way to the nearest McDonalds.