Chapter 11

Elijah sat across from Malika watching as the sunset reflected off her brown skin. There were over a dozen tables around them. Candle light illuminated the ever growing darkness as everyone stared in awe of the sinking sun. The the sunset painted a beautiful picture as it disappeared into the never ending blue sea Elijah only had eyes for Malika. A smile crept upon her face as the sun finally sank. "That was beautiful..." She said, her eyes still glued on the sparkling ocean.

He bit his lip to keep from saying anything corny. He picked up his wine glass and swallowed down the last of its contents. Malika turned in her seat, sending him an appreciative look. "Thank you, Elijah." 

"You're welcome." 

The smile she threw his way had him jumping out of his seat. He didn't think he could continue to sit in such close proximity to her without touching her. The urge to kiss her was so strong...

"Come on, let's go for a walk on the beach." Elijah pulled opened his wallet and sat money on the table. Malika didn't even have time to respond before he grabbed her hand and pulled her along behind him. They walked in silence for a moment. He just couldn't contain himself anymore.

"Malika." His voice was husky. 

She looked up at him, a mixture of emotion dancing in her eyes. "Yes?" 

He yanked her up against him and devoured her lips. He kissed her like a starved man. He kissed her like she was the only woman left on earth. It was as if explosions were happening all around them. She clung to him like a scared cat, her grip on his shirt tight. His hands never rested, sliding down her back, caressing her face, sending tingles of pleasure down her spine. He placed wet, warm kisses across her chin and onto her neck, whispering her name as he went, "Malika...Malika...Malika..."

She hugged him as close as she could, her breathing hitched. He cupped her face in his hands and kissed her with a possessive intensity he didn't know he had. He couldn't take anymore.

He pulled back and slid down her body landing in the sand. He grabbed her hips and looked up at her. His heart on his sleeve. "I love you." 

She stared down at him wide eyed. Her heart pounding in her chest. "What?"

"I know that you're hurt but I need you to know that I love you and that I'm here."

She stepped out of his arms, panic in her eyes. "No...no, Elijah stop it! You can't love me! I don't want you to love me!" 

He stood up. "Malika, despite what you think you deserve love too. And regardless of what you think you want, you can't deny that you love me too." 

He moved toward her but she took a step back. What did she have to do to make him see that she wasn't what he wanted? What did she have to say to make him realize that she was a lost cause?

"I won't have sex with..." she stated.

He shook his head, exasperated with her. "You think this is all about sex? Do you honestly think sex is the only thing that keeps a relationship a float?"

She trembled as a sob tore through her. "You don't get it! I'll never have sex with you Elijah! No matter how much you wine and dine me and throw romance my way, I'll never be able to give myself to you...And I know sex isn't all that matters but...you need someone who will willingly come to your bed because the only way you'll ever have me is by force." 

He stayed silent. What could he possibly say to that?

She turned on her heel and ran up the beach whispering a soft, painful, "I'm sorry." Leaving Elijah frozen.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Malika raced through the crowds, her tears staining her cheeks and hitting the pavement beneath her feet. She ran aimlessly. With no direction or reason. With no guide her her pain lead the way. After a moment of continuous running she stopped. Her eyes red. 

She had done the right thing. She had saved him from her. But if she had done the right thing then why did it hurt so bad? She felt like a part of her heart had been ripped from her body. 

--------------------------------------------------------------

After coming out of his initial shock at her words he had raced after her. He had screamed for her to stop but his demands had gone unheard. And then she was gone, lost in the crowd. He ran in circles before cursing. He didn't like the thought of her running around in a country she knew nothing about. He searched for her for almost an hour before heading back to the car. As he hopped in anger coursed through his veins like molten lava. 

*Sorry for the short chapters! I promise the next one will be longer....But I think you should all know that this story is coming to an end soon!* P.S. Should I put up a preview of Book #2?