Preview of Revive The Heart

Kiara sat up, the bed spread pooling around her. She pulled the covers back and stood. Stretching as she made her way to the bathroom. She stared at herself in the mirror. Her dark brown eyes seemed lifeless. She splashed water against her face before pulling out her tooth brush and tooth paste. She brushed her teeth for two minuted, rinsing out her mouth with mouthwash. She unwrapped her bonet, letting her long box braids fall down her back.

She looked at herself. She ran her hands across her face, her neck. The black eyes she onced sported every other week no longer plagued her. Her split lip had healed, her swollen cheek had gone, her bruises were completely gone. But it wasn't her physical state that was in pain...she was hurt mentally.

Her first love had turned out to be a nightmare. A foolish waste of her heart, her love. She had given her all in that relationship. Including her virginity. He had promised her happiness and told her that she would never want for anything again. She had been so gullible...so trusting...so idiotically in love.
She had disappointed the people she loved by being with him. She had broken her brother's heart by running away.

And the first time He had hit her had left her in a state of disbelief. He had fallen on his knees and promised to never do it again, that it was a slip of his hand. She had forgiven him. How could she not forgive the man she loved?

But soon the slip of his hands became more and more frequent. He began to degrade her. Calling her out of her name. Cussing at her every chance he got. And every time he had begged for forgiveness. And she would forgive him.

He loved her. He would never hurt her. She had told herself that everyday. She had tried to convince herself that he would change. That her love for him could change him back to the way he once was. But she had been a fool.

Because everyday had bleed into the next and she had continued to grow unhappy. She had slowly become an empty shell. She had tiptoed around him, doing her best to please him so that he wouldn't unleash more anger upon her. So that he wouldn't hurt her again. And for a while things had seemed normal. She had thought he had finally changed. That he would never put his hands on her again.

She couldn't have been anymore wrong. He had come home, angry and drunk on adrenaline. He had greeted her with a punch. Everything after that was a blur. She had woken up on the cold, hard wooden floor with a bloody nose, a black eyes, a split lip and bruises. He had taken his anger out on her and left her there, unconscious. She had gotten up and packed as much as she could. Then with the last of her savings she had left, returning home to the family she had disappointed.
She knew that if she hadn't left...she wouldn't be alive today.

But now, love was nothing more than a four letter word to her. Love wasn't real. Love was just another cliche in a world full of cliches.