Epilogue

"Why do we have to wear this?"

Elijah held back his laughter. He had grown fond of the twins. They were smart, silly and almost everything that came out of their mouths was hilarious. Today was no exception.

Malika frowned down at JaMarcus. "Because I said so!"

The look JaMarcus gave his sister had Elijah doubling over. He laughed so hard his stomach began to hurt. Malika and JaMarcus had been going back and forth for the last five minutes. She had dressed the boys in matching outfits.

JaMicheal stood beside Elijah, watching the scene unfold.

JaMicheal was a lot more laid back than JaMarcus. That was how Elijah could tell them apart. JaMarcus was easily excited and alot more outspoken, whereas, JaMicheal took things in stride and was more on the quieter side.

JaMicheal looked up at him, "Uncle El?"

"Yes?"

"Shouldn't we go be going over to momma's now?"

While Elijah and Malika had been on their honeymoon they had come back to find the boys spoiled rotten by his mother. She had gotten them to call her momma and whenever they talked about her, that's what they called her.

Elijah cleared his throat. "Yeah, we should already be there."

JaMicheal looked up at him expectedly. Elijah smiled at him. "Don't worry, I'll break it up."

He walked over to Malika and wrapped an arm around her waist. She instantly melted into his arms. He looked down at JaMarcus, "Don't argue with your sister. You're only wearing this outfit for today, alright."

Malika's head snapped back and she stared at him. "What do you mean he's only wearing it for today?"

Elijah cringed. He let his eyes roam over the tacky stripped polo outfits. "Don't worry JaMarcus, you won't have to wear this outfit ever again."

"Elijah!!"

He gave the boys a pointed look. "Go get in the car."

JaMarcus grinned wide, one of his front teeth missing, "Thanks, Uncle El!"

The boys ran out together.

Malika turned in his arms and glared at him. "You always take their side!"

Elijah smiled. Truthfully he liked when she was angry with him, she was extremely feisty when she was. "You know you're sexy when you're mad?"

She frowned. "That will not work this time!"

He laughed, "Okay, you're right and I apologize but...Malika, baby, those outfits...Why?"

She gasped, insulted but a smile played on her lips. "Those outfits are cute!"

He shook his head. "No, they're not. They're tacky, extremely tacky."

"Whose side are you on?" She laughed.

He pulled her towards him. She pretended to resist but allowed herself to be pulled into his arms. "You know I'm always on your side-," he gave her a slow toe curling kiss, "but not today."

She couldn't help but laugh. "Get off me Elijah before I punch you!" She pushed him away and walked past him, toward the door. He watched the sway of her hips as she went.

She stopped. "Stop staring at my ass like that and come on. We're already late."

---------------------------------

His mother's house was filled to the brim with children and relatives. The boys happily played football outside.

The smell of barbecue wafted through the air. Laughter danced through the air and the chatter resembled a growing crescendo. Malika fit right in with his family. She and the boys seemed like a missing piece to a once incomplete puzzle.

She laughed at something one of his cousins said to her and just as he neared her the front door burst open.

In the doorway stood his younger sister. No one had seen or heard from in over two years. Not since she had run away with her boyfriend.
She stood in the doorway, a suitcase in hand and a black eye. All eyes were on her. Her lip was gashed open and she had bruises all over her exposed skin. Her face contourted and she placed her hands over her face. As she cried her body shook.

Then everyone was around her. Hugged were being thrown her way and kisses were planted on her forehead. Elijah's mother hugged his sister close rocking her back and forth. Suddenly everyone was looking at Elijah.

He had warned his sister to stay away from her boyfriend. They had gotten into countless arguments about him not being good enough for her. His sister stared at him, fear of his rejection in her eyes. Elijah gritted his teeth. He was absolutely pissed. "He did this to you didn't he?"

His sister swallowed but nodded, more tears falling from her eyes.

"I told you he was no good! Wait until I get my hands on that son of a bitch!"

His sister froze. "Elijah...please...don't hurt him."

"Are you out of your mind? Hurt him? I'm going to kill him!"

Malika walked up behind him and ran a hand down his back. "You need to calm down."

He looked back at her, anger shinning in his eyes.

"Can't you see that she needs love right now? She needs time to heal."

Elijah knew she was right and apart of him just wanted to hold his little sister. And that's exactly what he did. "Kiara...get over here."

He opened his arms and she came running into his embrace.