𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐢𝐯𝐞: 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐝𝐢𝐬𝐧𝐞𝐲 𝐝𝐞𝐛𝐚𝐭𝐞

"hi, peter. what're you doing here?" she questioned.

"hey. can i come in?" peter asked.

"yeah. sure." rose nodded.

she stepped aside and let peter enter.

"have you watched the news?" he asked.

"uh, no. i haven't. we didn't have the tv on during tutoring. which you failed to show up to." she said, then looked down.

she then regretted making that comment.

"i'm sorry. i shouldn't 've said that. you were probably busy." she apologized.

"well what do you always say? honesty is the best policy, right?" he raised his eyebrows.

she sighed. "yeah, i guess you're right. it is, but that was mean."

"no, it's true. i'm sorry and i'll make it up to you, but right now i need you to turn the news." he replied.

"okay. why, though?" she questioned.

"you'll...you'll see. just turn it on." he nodded.

she sighed. "okay."

she picked up the remote and turned the tv on, flicking to the news station.

when she saw what was on the news, she almost dropped the remote.

it was peter, well technically spider-man, fighting criminals who were wearing masks of all the avengers.

then, it showed a burnt delmar's.

the woman reporter was talking about how 'the mysterious spider-man' swung in and tried saving the day.

"did it work? you tell us." she said before reintroducing herself and ending the story.

rose turned off the tv and plopped down on the couch.

peter sat down beside her.

"rose—." peter began.

"how did they do that do delmar's?" she asked in a mutter.

"they had this like...laser thing and it just blasted." peter answered.

"wow. you said that vey nonchalantly." rose replied.

"i don't mean to, i just can't believe it happened. anyway, i need a new backpack." he said.

"peter. this is so dangerous. you're supposed to be a friendly neighborhood spider-man, not a...big crime-fighting spider-man. aren't you supposed to be keeping peace instead of taking on things like this. the avengers should be worrying about this, not you." rose shook her head.

the hope in peter's eyes was starting to fade away.

did rose not have faith in him? did she not think he was...good enough to do this?

"do—do you not think i can do it?" he furrowed his eyebrows.

"peter, i didn't say that. i just care about you. i just don't want to see you in danger. i don't want this to cause any harm to you because peter, if you get hurt...i don't know what i'd do." she shook her head.

he grabbed her hand. "i understand, rosie. i just...i really like fighting crime, but i also want you to support me and be okay with it."

"peter, you shouldn't stop doing it just because i'm not okay with it. i may not...love it, but i love you and i can't stand in the way of you doing what you love, but please, don't get in too much trouble. i can't lose you."

"you won't lose me. ever."

rose half-smiled, then hugged him.

he held back and they both softly smiled.