𝙣𝙞𝙣𝙚𝙩𝙮 𝙤𝙣𝙚.

─☼☼☼─

"𝙄 𝙏𝙃𝙄𝙉𝙆 𝙔𝙊𝙐 should let me do the talking," Charlotte announced as she turned into the Carrera driveway. "You don't have the best track record when it comes to convincing mom and dad."

Kiara let out an offended scoff as Charlotte shut off the car, "Oh come on! I've been practicing in my head the whole way over here."

"Oh yeah?" Charlotte challenged, stepping out onto the driveway, "Let's hear what you've got then."

Squaring her shoulders, Kiara let out a breath as if she was prepping for a big presentation, "Okay, okay. We could go with the simple yet effective, we're basically both adults─"

"At least one of us is." Charlotte muttered.

Kiara shot her a look before continuing, "Fine, you don't like that one? What about...we─we'll never ask for anything ever again?"

Charlotte picked at her nails, "Yeah, right."

"Yeah, you're right," Kiara sighed. "I cannot promise that." She paced in a small circle, "Oh! This is a good one─I'll write an essay about our experiences with Indigenous tribes in South America, and then I'll use it to apply to colleges. You could write one too since they're so worried about your schooling."

Quirking a brow, Charlotte regarded her younger sister, "Seriously, Kie? They're never gonna buy it."

Kiara's shoulders slumped, "I'm trying my best here, okay?"

"I think the truth is our friend right now," Charlotte reasoned, "We tell them the truth, but the key is to not ask for permission. Just have enough decency to let them know what's happening."

"Where'd you learn that, little miss perfect?" Kiara wore an amused smile.

Pretending to brush dirt off her shoulders, Charlotte smirked, "You can't do the out-doer, little sis. You forget I paved the way for you."

Kiara snorted, "You're so full of shit. You could do no wrong in mom and dad's eyes back then."

Charlotte winked, "And that was all part of my plan."

"Yeah, sure. I bet you had it all─" Kiara trailed off, her eyes focusing on something on the street behind Charlotte.

Spinning around, the eldest of the two noticed a car pulling up to the curb. There was a logo printed across the front of it with a rainbow lacing over the words. There was nothing inherently wrong with the vehicle, but something felt...off.

A man stepped out, rounding the car with a cool composure. Yet it seemed that there was something daunting about him.

"Hey, Kiara." He greeted only the youngest sister, his pace quickening slightly as he approached. He acted as if they were old friends.

Charlotte stepped in front of her sister, latching a hand on her wrist to make sure no one tried to take her away. "Can we help you?" She wondered, a bit more bite behind her tone that she had originally intended.

Kiara was already pulling Charlotte toward the house, not wanting to stick around for whatever this creep had to say.

"Hey, come back." The man pleaded, "I just want to talk to you."