Chapter 11

The trio had little time to celebrate as they heard a light yet distant tapping sound approaching. 

They all looked over worriedly as Enola resumed a fighting stance. "Grandmother?" Tewkesbury asked as the old lady appeared. 

"Yes. I'm afraid so." with a sigh the Dowager continued "It seems if you want a job done, you have to do it yourself."

Enola made to step forward and defend Tewkesbury but he gently put his hand in front of her, stopping her. "No, Enola."

The group watched the old woman confused as she picked up the fallen gun. Tewkesbury asked "Where's my mother?"

"In London. With your uncle. Looking for you." she explained calmly walking closer holding the gun facing towards the floor "They never understood." Enola and Florence shook their heads in disbelief as Tewkesbury's Grandmother raised the gun slowly "I'm so sorry, my darling. The future of the country is at stake."

The gun was fired as quickly as it was raised. The girls screamed and cried "No!" as Tewkesbury was hit with a force so great he was flung a few meters back from where he stood.  Florence ran over and knelt down next to him gazing at the gash in his chest. 

Enola ran towards his grandmother who lifted the gun once more with a sad smile on her face as she looked upon her actions. Enola stopped in her tracks but when the old woman fired she found it to be empty.  

"It's done." the grandmother whimpered as she gently touched Enola's face "It's done." she let Enola take the gun from her as Florence screamed "Enola! Help him!"

Running over crying and sobbing Enola grabbed onto Tewkesbury's body shaking him "Tewkesbury! Tewkesbury! No! Tewkesbury!"

Enola started patting his face gently "Wake up." then a little harsher "Come on." she begged. Florence had never seen Enola so sad, so scared, so vulnerable. 

"No...No!" Storming over to the Dowager Florence screamed "How could you? You just-" she broke down. The old woman pulled her closer and comforted her "I'm sorry Lady Spencer, it was for the betterment of the country. It's a worthy sacrifice. You'll thank me for this one day"

Pushing her away she yelled "I will never thank you. You have murdered my best friend. I didn't even get to say good bye. You know nothing of sacrifice" she ran back over to Enola and Tewkesbury. 

Enola had interlaced her fingers with Tewkesbury's while her hand was on his chest. It was a heart breaking sight to see. Suddenly Enola sat up, Tewkesbury let out a shuddering breath and opened his eyes.

Slowly Enola got off him and he sat up. "Be careful. Be careful." Florence ushered. The boy smirked "I'm not entirely an idiot, you know." he unbuttoned his jacket revealing a chest plate from the suit of armour. 

Tewkesbury pushed a strand of hair out of Enola's hair smiling at her, lovingly "You were made to fight." they hugged and the sight made Florence want to cry all over again. Helping the two to their feet Enola's entire demeanour changed. 

Turning to his grandmother Tewkesbury stood taller. The two girls either side of him offering their support. With no sympathy in his eyes he told her "Your time is over."