Chapter 12

It had been 5 days since that night at The Basilweather Estate, and much had happened since then. Everyone had been so busy in fact, that Tewkesbury and Florence had not been able to speak until the day of the vote. 

Since she was of high status and her father was a member of Parliament Florence was permitted onto  the grounds of parliament where she desperately talked searched for Tewkesbury. She needed to talk to him. 

"I look fine." she heard a voice to her right say. Spinning around she saw Tewkesbury next to his mother and uncle. "Don't fuss over him, Caroline." his uncle scolded. 

"Please, Mother." Tewkesbury pleaded. She reached out to fix his hair "Oh, can I just..."

"Don't." he pushed her hand away once more "I'm trying to have these men's respect. It's quite the style, you know." Tewkesbury insisted. With a huff his mother gave in "Yes. I suppose it sets your face off nicely." she smiled at her son "Your father would be very proud of you."

Jumping int the conversation with a bow Florence asked "Might I speak with the Viscount for a moment?"

"Of course Lady Florence" His mother beamed and both her and Tewkesbury's uncle walked away leaving them unchaperoned. 

"Florence. What are you doing here?" he asked confused. With a nervous smile she reminded him "Well on this exact day two weeks ago we negotiated a deal and you made a promise to-."

Nodding solemnly Tewkesbury agreed "Of course" getting down on one knee hesitantly he looked up at her "Lady Florence Spencer, will you marry me?"

"No" she told him. He quickly rose "What?!"

She smirked "If you would have just listened what I was going to say is" Florence cleared her throat "Viscount Tewkesbury, Marquess of Basilweather I hereby and Henceforth release you from your marriage promise to me"

His jaw practically dropped to the ground "Florence-but your parents-"

"Are going to have to learn that I have grown. I will make my own decisions from now on, they will never again tell me how to dress, how to behave or who I am to marry" she stated sternly.

Tewkesbury lifted her up and hugged her "Thank You Florence"

When he put her down she ran over to an iron gate, there she was greeted by he one and only Enola Holmes. Tewkesbury rushed over even more excited then Florence. "Congratulations. You finally look like the nincompoop you were born to be." Enola smiled. 

He looked down at himself anxiously before she reassured him "No. You look good. This is...good."

"The vote is in an hour. It's, um...It's quite the thing." Tewkesbury changed the subject. Enola nodded then asked "I'm not supposed to bow or anything, am I, now that you are whatever you are?"

With a small laugh Florence explained "Well, arguably, you always had to bow. To both of us really. You just...chose not to."

"So, uh, are you safe?" Tewkesbury asked worriedly "Are you...Are you...are you comfortable? You're not still living - in that terrible lodgings house, are you?"

"No." she assured "I used the reward money your mother gave me..."

"Which you reluctantly took." Tewkesbury added. "And found somewhere new." she finished. 

"Well, Mother has said that there's, um... there's...there's always room for you with us." Tewkesbury told her shyly. "Your mother clearly hasn't spent enough time with me." Enola joked. 

Turning somewhat serious Tewkesbury asked "And what if it was I that...asked you to stay?"

Stepping back not noticing how close the two had become Enola said "A kind offer, but one I must refuse." she glanced quickly at Florence "As an engaged man you have your own responsibilities."

Florence smirked and corrected her "He is no longer engaged, I broke things off. You have taught me a great many things Enola Holmes and I intend to learn more."

"I...How will I...How...When will I see you again?" Tewkesbury asked her. 

"You're not rid of me yet, Viscount Tewkesbury, Marquess of Basilweather." Enola smirked "Neither are you Lady Florence Spencer." she added as she walked away from the gates. 

Turning to Florence he asked "Are we still friends?" 

"Well arguably we were never friends, you were always my fiancé. But, yes. I would say I'm your best friend"

"Friend or Best Friend?" Tewkesbury enquired playfully. Florence smirked "Best Friend? Deal"

Nodding his head "Deal"

And then they parted ways.