Unveiling Truths

"It is truly an honor to have been welcomed into your palace, your Imperial Majesty," Fu Jie said, assuming the kowtow greeting for Emperor Leinji. A dark red silk robe bloomed outward beneath him like a pool. His attire was more modest than usual, with minimal embroidery and a pale pibian adjourning his head. He knelt down beside his sister, Xianying, who had accompanied him on a mission of diplomacy to Xian Palace. Before him, Emperor Leinji sat observing the young prince. The years of dormancy beneath the crown had thickened the leader, though his militant demeanor and figure beneath resided in the way he carried himself. He was a man equally as frightening in power as he was in build. His wife, Niyu, stood quietly beside him. She kept a firm posture and calm disposition to play her role in supporting the Emperor.

"Rise," Leinji spoke. Both Fu Jie and Xianying rose to an upward kneel. "I trust you haven't forgotten about our arrangement."

"Of course not, your Imperial Majesty," Fu Jie said, his voice pouring smoothly out of a curled smirk. "There is none more thrilled than I to finally marry your daughter."

"To establish an alliance between our kingdoms," Leinji said firmly. "I am offering my daughter as a token of such and you will honor our agreement with your compliance." Fu Jie breathed in. A fist clenched in his lap.

"Yes, your Imperial Majesty," he said. "Of course, that is what I want as well." Xianying's eyes peered over to him. She smirked at the obvious irritation in Fu Jie's voice.

"Very well then," Leinji said. "Why have you asked to meet with me?"

"Your Imperial Majesty, I come on these same matters, for I am just as eager to further this union," Fu Jie said. He spoke through a charming grin, occasionally glancing at Niyu with a gleam in his eye. "I would like to request that the ceremony come on the day of the autumnal equinox?"

"That's just seven days from now," Niyu said. Fu Jie looked back at her. "Yuanji may not be ready to wed by then."

"I did say I was eager, my lady," Fu Jie responded. "I trust that she is as well, having waited as long as she has since our first meeting." Niyu started to speak right away, but paused by a slight catch in her throat.

"I-I suppose we could speak with her on the matter and possibly move up the ceremony," Niyu said. "She would have to-" Leinji raised his hand slowly. Niyu noticed the gesture and fell quiet once more.

"Need I remind both of you that it is my call when she is ready to wed?" Leinji asked. Neither Niyu or Fu Jie took that as an invitation to answer. "Yuanji has had more than enough time to prepare. The sooner we can make this union official, the sooner we can join our forces and trade prospects. Very well, I have decided. Yuanji is to marry prince Fu Jie on the morning of the autumnal equinox." Fu Jie smiled and bowed his head.

"Thank you, your Imperial Highness," he said.

"Y-your highness, shall we perhaps pray on it first?" Niyu asked.

"No need, it's been settled," Leinji said dismissively. "Share the news with my daughter. Where is Sima Yi?" Xianying glanced around. Niyu looked down, her hands cupped in front of her.

"Your highness, he stepped out this morning," Niyu said. "He said he had to make a run to the market for food supplies, so I permitted him leave." Leinji let out a small grunt and a sigh.

"Very well," Leinji said. "Inform him later that he may tell Yuanji." Fu Jie perked up.

"Your Imperial Highness," Fu Jie started. "If it is not too bold for me to say, I can always pay your daughter a visit to share with her the news." The royal couple paused for a moment. Niyu looked down at Leinji, awaiting an answer.