A Sufferable Secret

The gold and ivory garnishings across the palace walls shined with much less splendor, as they had over the previous three days. The sunrise rays that permeated the relished decor appeared a copper fall of day. The pearly white reliefs of historical figures and moments in China's noble history stood with a sorrowful tint of the midday raincloud, what once could bring much glee to the farmers and their crops, only loomed over a clean day to be thoroughly adored by the masses. The palace had become a quiet tomb since Hong Yuanji's disappearance, though only one took such a notice.

Sima Yi slowly slipped out of Yuanji's bed chamber. At the time which he was instructed to bring her tea, incense for meditation, and books for her studies, he complied every time, though there was no Yuanji hidden away in her bed chamber to observe. The palace servant edged his way out of her room, shutting the thick, wooden door behind him. The unpolished carvings lining the walls stared down to the reflective tray balanced in Yi's hand, bearing a cold pot of untouched tea, with a barren cup and saucer. Yi sighed. He took the tray in both hands and started for the palace kitchen.

"Sima Yi," a voice called out behind the servant. Yi turned to see Yuanji's mother, the Empress Dowager, Hong Niyu. She approached with two servants behind her, both younger girls wearing identical robes. One servant, Ai Mesing, carried with her a similar tea set atop a tray as Sima Yi, while her younger sister, Ai Bai, held a bundle of the Empress's robes to be washed.

"Your majesty," Yi said as he bowed before her. "How may I assist you?"

"I have just not heard from either you or Yuanji in the past few days," Niyu said with a warm smile. She wore traditional elaborate robes, though much more casual than when royal business was to be attended. Her ebony hair sat upright in a tight bun with tasseled sticks crossing through. Yi froze in the woman's inquiry. He swallowed. His veins coursed with an icy sear. Yi lowered his head and sighed, dreading doing the thing he feared he would have to eventually.

"Yuanji and I have been quietly studying in her room the past few days," Yi said through a trembling breath.

"I imagine she's been busy," Niyu said. "A big day for her is fast approaching. I do hope that she is still meditating to keep inner peace through these stressful times."

"She is, your majesty, I assure you," Yi said quickly, getting through the lie as painlessly as possible.

"I may pay her a visit just to check," Niyu said with a smile. Yi stuttered a quick response.

"She's resting," Yi said. "Y... your majesty. With all due respect, she said that she would like to spend the day resting between her studies."

"Then I'm sure she could use some time with her mother," Niyu said. "Who better knows what she's going through?" Yi clenched his teeth. Niyu turned with a smile.

"The princess mentioned that she would like to not be disturbed by anyone," Yi said. He scratched his nose. His throat quivered with stomaching a lump. The Empress Dowager looked back to Sima Yi. She wore a forlorn expression, her face long with puzzlement.

"Is she feeling okay?" Niyu asked. "It isn't like Yuanji to shut out her own family." Yi felt his skin run wild with chills. He had become increasingly aware of itches traced across his face and neck.

"She's just... focused, your majesty," Yi said, the tea set trembling slightly against the silver tray in his hands. Each lie coursed from his mouth like rotten, sour apples. He felt more and more sick with each one, his face draining of color for what his best friend was putting him through, but fought to maintain composure. "She has requested as few distractions as possible to stay focused on her studies."